Consider the following scenario:
- You have the Windows Server virtualization (WSv) preview build installed on one of the following:
- Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate 0 (RC0)
- Windows Server 2008 RC1 (RC1)
- You try to upgrade to one of the following:
- Windows Server 2008 RC1 build with Hyper-V beta
- The release version of Windows Server 2008
In this scenario, you may receive the following error message:
Uninstall the following windows components and features:
Microsoft Windows virtualization – Please read Microsoft Knowledge
Base article: 939853
This problem occurs because Windows Server 2008 cannot be upgraded if the Windows Server virtualization preview build is installed. You must perform a clean install.
To upgrade to the Windows Server 2008 RC1 build with Hyper-V beta or to the release version of Windows Server 2008, follow these steps:
- Close all the virtual machines that are currently running.
- Note the configuration settings for each virtual machine.
- Format the operating system volume, and then reinstall Windows Server 2008.
- Install the Hyper-V role in Server Manager.
- Re-create your virtual machines and your virtual network switches.
If the following conditions are true, you must reinstall the operating system and the integration components:
- You attach a virtual hard disk (.vhd) file that contains an installation of Windows Server 2008 RC0 that was installed by using the Hyper-V preview build.
- You attach a .vhd file that contains an installation of Windows Server 2008 RC1 that was installed by using the Hyper-V preview build.
For a .vhd file that contains an installation of Windows Server 2003, you must reinstall the integration components.
For more information about Hyper-V, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 939853 - Last Review: February 21, 2008 - Revision: 1.1
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
- Windows Server 2008 Standard
|kbexpertiseinter kbtshoot kbprb KB939853|