You connect a tape device to a computer. However, the tape device is not detected by SQL Server Management Studio in Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or by SQL Server Enterprise Manager in SQL Server 2000.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps.Note
The tape devices that are mentioned in this section are not displayed in SQL Server Management Studio or in SQL Server Enterprise Manager.
- Verify that the tape devices are compatible with the Windows operating system on the computer. For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:Note If step 1 does not resolve the problem, go to step 2.
- If the tape devices are USB-based, see the following article the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
927797 If the tape devices are not USB-based, verify that you have installed the latest drivers and firmware for the tape devices.
You cannot specify a USB-based tape drive as a backup device in SQL Server 2005 and in SQL Server 2000
Note If step 2 does not resolve the problem, go to step 3.
- Use the BACKUP statement to back up databases to tape devices. Or, use the RESTORE statement to restore databases from tape devices. To do this, run one of the following statements:
The following statements are examples:
- BACKUP DATABASE DatabaseName TO TAPE='TapeDevice'
- RESTORE DATABASE DatabaseName FROM TAPE='TapeDevice'
- BACKUP DATABASE AdventureWorks TO TAPE='\\.\TAPE0'
- RESTORE DATABASE AdventureWorks FROM TAPE='\\.\TAPE0'
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 953122 - Last Review: June 10, 2008 - Revision: 1.3
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Workgroup Edition
|kbsql2005tool kbexpertiseadvanced kbtshoot kbprb KB953122|