Article ID: 2009533 - View products that this article applies to.
When you run vssadmin list writers on Windows Server 2008, no VSS writers are listed.
In the Application event log, the following events are logged:
If you open the Windows Server Backup snap-in, the following error occurs:
This issue occurs because the registry path to Eventcls.dll is incorrect or because the registry data type for the TypeLib setting is incorrect.
To resolve this issue, perform the following steps.
Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. Locate and then click the following registry key:
3. Locate the TypeLib registry value.
NOTE The registry type of TypeLib should be shown as REG_EXPAND_SZ. If that is not the case, you have to delete the key, and then you have to recreate the key. To do this, follow these two steps:
4. Double-click the TypeLib registry value. In the Value Data box, type %systemroot%\system32\EVENTCLS.DLL, and then click OK.
5. Close Regedit.
6. Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, and hit Enter.
7. Right-click the following services one at a time and click Restart:
8. Close the Services snap-in.
9. Open an elevated command prompt, type vssadmin list writers, and then hit ENTER.
10. Verify that the VSS writers are now listed.
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=151500)for other considerations.
Article ID: 2009533 - Last Review: March 29, 2010 - Revision: 4.0