This article describes how to set the recording speed for a CD-R drive in Windows XP.
To set the recording speed for a CD-R drive in Windows XP, use either of the following methods.
- Double-click My Computer, right-click your CD-R drive, and then click Properties.
- Click the Recording tab, select the speed the CD recordable media will be written at under Desktop CD Recording, and then click OK.
- In Windows Media Player, click Options on the Tools menu.
- Click the Devices tab.
- Click your CD-R drive, click Properties, and then click the Recording tab.
- Choose a writing speed.
If you attempt to write to a CD-R device faster then what it is capable of writing, you may ruin the CD-R media. Make sure to always set the burn speed in accordance with the CD-R drive and corresponding media.
Windows XP Does Not Support Testing Before Writing to CD-R or CD-RW Media
Article ID: 309522 - Last Review: October 31, 2001 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional