When you attempt to load the contents of an Lmhosts file into the NetBIOS
Remote Cache Name Table using the Nbtstat -R command, you may notice that
the entries are not loading. You can view this by using the Nbtstat -c
The Lmhosts file is very specific in its required syntax and may be
To troubleshoot this issue, use the following:
- Open the Lmhosts file in a text editor, such
as Notepad.exe or Edit.com, and place three or four carriage returns at the bottom of the file.
NOTE: If you are using Notepad.exe, then make certain that you do not save the file using Unicode.
- Make sure the Lmhosts lookup is enabled by performing the following steps:
- Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.
- Double-click Networks, on the Protocols tab, and double-click TCP/IP Protocol.
- On the WINS Address tab and click the Enable LMHOSTS Lookup to enable it.
NOTE: You need to restart your computer for this change to take effect.
- Verify that your Lmhosts file is in the proper folder and has no file extension. For more information, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge base:
How to Write an LMHOSTS File for Domain Validation
Article ID: 180099 - Last Review: February 27, 2007 - Revision: 2.3
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0, Terminal Server Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
|kbnetwork kbprb kbtshoot KB180099|