This article describes how to install the Microsoft Network Monitor tool (NetMon) on a computer that is running Windows 95 or Windows 98.
Network Monitor is available on the following Microsoft BackOffice CD-ROMs:
- BackOffice version 2.5 on CD-ROM 4, in the SMS12\NMext\Disk1 folder.
- BackOffice version 4.0 on CD-ROM 5, in the SMS\NMext\Disk1 folder.
- BackOffice version 4.0 on CD-ROM 6, in the SMS20\NMEXT\I386 folder
:These locations will correspond to where they are found on the respective versions of SMS.
To install Network Monitor, run the Setup program from one of the following locations:
- From the Disk1 folder where Netmon.zip was expanded.
- From disk 1 of the three Network Monitor Setup disks.
- From the Disk1 folder in the locations mentioned above on the Back Office CD-ROM.
After the Setup program finishes, you are prompted to install the supporting Network Monitor drivers. To do this:
- Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network. (This step is necessary only if the Network Properties dialog box is not displayed at the end of Network Monitor Setup).
- Click Add, double-click Protocol, and then click Have Disk.
- Click Browse.
- Browse to the following folder (depending on your operating system version):
- Windows 98 CD-ROM: CD-ROM drive:\Tools\ResKit\NetAdmin\NetMon
- Windows 95 CD-ROM: CD-ROM drive:\Admin\NetTools\NetMon
- Click OK, and then restart the computer when you are prompted.
To ensure proper parsing of Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) packets:
- Using a standard text editor (such as Notepad), edit the Tcpip.ini file located in the Parsers folder in which Network Monitor is installed. The default location is C:\Nm\Parsers.
- Locate the [TCP_HandoffSet] section.
- Locate the line containing the text 5678 = PPTP. Change this to 1723 = PPTP.
- Save the file, and then quit Notepad.
For additional information about Network Monitor, please see the following
articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Capture Network Traffic with Network Monitor124837
Connecting to a Remote Network Monitor Agent Across a Router
Article ID: 200910 - Last Review: January 23, 2007 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 95