You download and try to install an update package for a 2007 Microsoft Office suite. When you do this, the update package does not install the update. Additionally, you receive the following error message:
The installation of this package failed.
This problem may occur when the temporary folder on the computer is encrypted.
By default, the Microsoft Self-Extractor program extracts the installation files for the update package to the %temp% folder. The program then runs the update package's Setup program from this folder.
If the %temp% folder has been encrypted, and if you signed on to the computer by using a standard user account, the update package's Setup program cannot run. Encryption may have been enabled on this folder by the user or by certain tools such as the Microsoft Encrypting File System Assistant (EFS Assistant).
To work around this problem, you must download the update package for the 2007 Office suite, and then manually extract and run the update package's Setup program. To do this, follow these steps.Note
These steps use the My Documents folder on the computer. If the My Documents folder is also encrypted, use a different folder in these steps.
- Download the 2007 Office update package to the My Documents folder on the computer.
- Open the My Documents folder, and then note the Microsoft Self-Extractor file name.
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type cd "%userprofile%\My Documents" and then press ENTER.
- Type Self-Extractor_filename.exe /extract:"%userprofile%\My Documents" and then press ENTER.
This process extracts one or more .msp installation files for the 2007 Office update package.
- Close the Command Line window.
- In the My Documents folder, double-click each .msp file that you extracted in step 5.
Note If an .msp file is for a component that is not part of the 2007 Office suite that you installed, you receive the following warning message:
The update package cannot be installed by the Windows Installer service because the program to be updated may be missing, or the update package may update a different version of the program. Verify that the program to be updated exists on your computer and that you have the correct update package.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 926946 - Last Review: October 15, 2007 - Revision: 1.9
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007
- Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
- Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
- Microsoft Office Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
- Microsoft Office Basic 2007
- Microsoft Office Access 2007
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- Microsoft Office OneNote 2007
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
- Microsoft Office Publisher 2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Project Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2007
|kberrmsg kbupdateissue kbsetup kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot kbprb KB926946|