When you try to start a Windows Server 2008-based DNS server, the DNS server stops responding. Additionally, the following event is logged in the DNS server event log:
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control
Event ID: 7023
Task Category: None
The DNS Server service terminated with the following error:
The network is not present or not started.
Other services that depend on or utilize the DNS Server service may also fail to start.
This problem occurs if the following conditions are true:
- The server does not have network connectivity.
The network device to which the server is connected takes a longer time to start than the server.
To resolve this problem, make sure that the following conditions are true:
- The server has network connectivity, and the link light is displayed.
- The server's network adapter contains a valid IP address.
Article ID: 954423 - Last Review: July 4, 2008 - Revision: 1.0
- Windows Server 2008 Standard
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 Standard without Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise without Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter without Hyper-V
- Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems
|kberrmsg kbtshoot kbexpertiseadvanced kbprb KB954423|