In Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, you can export one or more items from the global address list (GAL) to your local Contacts folder. However, there is neither a command in the Outlook 2007 user interface nor a Group Policy setting to prevent you from exporting items from the GAL.
This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
To resolve this problem, disable the Add to Contacts
command in Outlook 2007. To do this, follow these steps:
- Install 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to obtain the latest service pack for the 2007 Office suite
- Configure the DisableExportingContact registry entry for Outlook 2007. To do this, follow these steps:
- Start Registry Editor:
- In Windows Vista, click Start
, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- In Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type DisableExportingContact, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click DisableExportingContact, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
- Exit Registry Editor.
After you install 2007 Microsoft Office suite Service Pack 2 and then configure the DisableExportingContact
registry entry, you experience the following behavior in Outlook 2007:
- When you right-click a GAL entry in the Address Book dialog box, the Add to Contacts command is unavailable on the shortcut menu.
- In the Address Book dialog box, the Add to Contacts command is unavailable on the File menu.
- When you right-click a GAL entry in the Select Names dialog box, the Add to Contacts command is unavailable on the shortcut menu.
- In the Select Names dialog box, when you right-click a recipient in the To box, the Add to Contacts command is unavailable on the shortcut menu.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
To export entries from the GAL to the Contacts folder, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Address Book.
- In the Address Book dialog box, select Global Address List in the Address Book list.
- Select one or more entries in the list of GAL entries.
- Right-click the selected item or items.
You notice that the Add to Contacts command is displayed on the shortcut menu.
- Click Add to Contacts to export the selected entry or the selected entries to the Contacts folder.
This hotfix restricts bulk exporting of the GAL. However, you can still export single GAL entries to your Contacts folder. The following steps demonstrate limitations of this hotfix:
- Create a new e-mail message.
- Add any user from the GAL to the To line of the message.
- Right-click the user name on the To line.
You notice that the Add to Outlook Contacts command is available on the shortcut menu. This is one limitation.
- When you click Outlook Properties on that shortcut menu, the Add to Contacts command is displayed in the properties dialog box for the user. This is another limitation.
Article ID: 975776 - Last Review: January 16, 2015 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
|kbnosurvey kbarchive atdownload kbsurveynew kbexpertiseinter KB975776|