Popular Knowledge Base Articles
- "A Required dll Oleacc.dll Was Not Found" Error Message When You Try to Start Encarta 2003
When you start Encarta 2003 on a Microsoft Windows 98-based computer, you may receive the following error message:
- Encarta Dictionary opens unexpectedly when you double-click in credits, captions, and titles
When you use the mouse pointer to navigate through the multimedia section of any of the Microsoft Encarta programs listed in the "Applies to" section, you can double-click a word to open a dictionary window, which provides the definition of that...
- Club Encarta Web site does not fully load or is missing buttons
When you try to join Club Encarta from any of the programs that are listed at the beginning of this article, you may experience any of the following behaviors: The Club Encarta Web page is blank.The Club Encarta Web page does not fully load.The...
- Disabling the Visual Browser in Encarta Increases the Performance of the Program
This article describes how to disable the Visual Browser in Microsoft Encarta Reference Library 2004. By default, the Visual Browser is enabled and appears when you start Encarta Reference Library. Disabling the browser may increase the performance of...
- Animations that include a sound file do not play in Encarta if no sound card is installed
When you try to play an animated file that includes a sound file in the Microsoft Encarta Reference Library 2004, the button may be unavailable (dimmed).
- Encarta Virtual Globe 99 Setup Checks for NT SUR 4.0 Gold
When you are installing Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99 in Windows 2000, you may receive the following message: Internet Explorer 4.0 Setup: You must have NT SUR 4.0 Gold (version 1381) to install. Please click OK to cancel installation. This...
- Encarta 2000: How to Troubleshoot Sound and Video Driver Issues
If you are unable to start Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 2000, or if you experience problems when you attempt to use the enhanced sound or display features in Encarta 2000, you may need to obtain updated drivers for your sound card or video adapter.
- Encarta Encyclopedia 99: No Audio Output When You Play Certain Sounds
When you attempt to play the following sounds from Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia, you do not hear any audio output. Encarta 99 Standard Bach's Goldberg Variations Charles De Gaulle Common Hippopotamus Elephant with Calf Encarta 99 Deluxe Common...
- Encarta World Atlas 2000: BACKSPACE Key Opens Previously Opened Web Page
When you press the BACKSPACE key to delete data you type in a field on a Web page open in Microsoft Encarta World Atlas 2000 or Microsoft Encarta Interactive World Atlas 2001, the previously opened Web page may be opened unexpectedly.
- Encarta Button in the Find Information Box Is Unavailable
When you choose the Find Information button on the toolbar or the Find Information option from the Edit menu, the Microsoft Encarta button in the Find Information dialog box may be unavailable (dimmed).
- Encarta World Atlas 2001: Error Message: MSVCIRT.DLL File Is Linked to Missing MSVCRT.DLL
When you attempt to start Microsoft Encarta World Atlas 2001, you may receive an error message similar to the following:
- Encarta 99: No Sound in Home Screen, Animations, Interactivities
When you run Encarta Encyclopedia 99, you may not hear any sounds on the Encarta Home Screen, or when you play animations or interactivities.
- Works Suite 99: Cannot Start Encarta Encyclopedia 99
When you install Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 99 from Microsoft Works Suite 99, you may receive the following message when you attempt to start Encarta Encyclopedia: If you insert the Works Suite 99 Disc 1 CD-ROM and then click OK , this message...
- Encarta Err Msg: Could Not Start Another Application During Setup...
When you attempt to install Microsoft Encarta 97 Encyclopedia for Windows on a computer running Microsoft Windows 95/98, the Setup program may quit, and you may receive the following error message:
- Information about the discontinuation of Encarta Encyclopedia Research Service in Microsoft Office
Provides information about the discontinuation of Encarta Encyclopedia Research Service in Microsoft Office.
- Works Suite 2000: Setup Errors Occur While Installing Shockwave Files During Encarta Installation
When you install Microsoft Encarta from Microsoft Works Suite 2000, you may receive the following error message: The file 'CBrowser.x32' on Shockwave files cannot be found. Insert Shockwave Files in the selected drive, and click OK. When you click OK ,...
- Error message when you start Encarta 2006 on a Windows XP SP2-based computer: "Macromedia Flash Player 7.0 is not installed in this computer"
Describes the error message that you receive when you try to start Encarta 2006 in Windows XP.
- Cannot Start Encarta 98 After You Uninstall Internet Explorer 5
When you try to start Microsoft Encarta 98 after you uninstall Internet Explorer 5.0, you receive the following error message:
- Error message when you try to open Encarta after you perform a complete installation of Works Suite 2006: "Macromedia Flash Player 7.0 is not installed"
Describes an error message that you receive when you try to use Encarta after you install Works Suite 2006.
- How to copy the Encarta CD-ROM to the hard disk
Describes how to copy the Encarta CD-ROM to your computer hard disk.
- "The Shockwave animation player is not installed on your system" error message or Encarta starts with a blank screen
When you start one of the Microsoft Encarta products listed in the "Applies to" section, one or more of the following symptoms may occur: A blank screen appears upon Startup. You receive an error message that is similar to the following, although...
- You receive an "Error 1935" error message when you try to install Works, Student, or Encarta
Describes how to resolve an issue in which you receive an "Error 1935" error message when you try to install Microsoft Works, Microsoft Student, or Microsoft Encarta.
- PRB: Run-Time Error Occurs When You Open an Encarta Interactivities Module
When you open an Encarta Interactivities module on a localized language version of Windows XP, you may receive the following run-time error message:
- When you start Encarta or games for Windows, you receive an error message because of an error that occurs in Aclayers.dll
Describes a problem starting some games and Encarta programs on Windows XP and on Windows 2000. When you try to start these programs, you receive an error message.
- Error message: Encarta Encyclopedia failed to connect to the Internet
When you click an Internet link in any one of the Microsoft Encarta products listed in the "Applies to" section, or if you click , and then click , you may receive any of the following error messages: Note You may not receive an error message but no...
- Mac Encarta 98: Contents of the Encarta 98 Read Me File
This article contains the complete text of the Encarta 98 Read Me file included on the Encarta 98 Encyclopedia for Macintosh CD-ROM.
- Encarta Researcher: Cannot Convert Research Organizer Projects
Microsoft Encarta Researcher, which is included with many of the Encarta Reference 2001 programs, does not include a conversion utility for projects that are saved in the Microsoft Encarta Research Organizer. Encarta Research Organizer is included with...
- Encarta: How to Recover Integrated Yearbook Update Files
When you remove and reinstall Encarta 98 Encyclopedia or Encarta Encyclopedia 99, you may not see all of the yearbook update files that you downloaded before you removed the program. You may also receive one of the following error messages: Encarta...
- Mac Encarta 97: Readme.txt: Getting Connected
The following article contains the Getting Connected section of the Microsoft Encarta 97 Encyclopedia Readme.txt file. This section describes how to access and utilize the online components of Encarta 97.
- Mac Encarta 97: Trouble Downloading/Integrating Yearbook Update
When you try to download the Encarta 97 updates, you may experience one of the following symptoms: A screen appears that asks you to configure a Helper application. The update starts to download, but then appears as garbled text in your browser window.
- You receive an error message in module Msxml3.dll when you try to start Encarta Reference Library 2002
Discusses an issue where you receive an error message when you try to start Encarta Reference Library 2002.
- Mac Encarta 96 & 97: Unable to Copy and Paste an Image
After you copy an image from Encarta 1996 or 1997, the image may not be available to paste into another program. Either the paste option will not be available, or no image will paste when the command is chosen.
- Mac Encarta 97: Pasting Text into Search Box Finds Nothing
When you try to perform a search in Encarta, nothing is found. This occurs when you perform a search by copying two or more words of an article, and then pasting it into a text box in the Word Search flyout.
- Encarta Reference Suite 99: Network Installation Instructions
This article describes how to install Microsoft Encarta Reference Suite 99 for use over a network.
- Mac Encarta 97: ErrMsg: One or More Files Required for Apple...
When you start Encarta 97 Encyclopedia for the Macintosh on a computer running Mac OS System Software 7.1 or earlier, you may receive the following error message: After you reinstall Encarta 97, the error message still occurs when you start Encarta 97....
- Encarta 99: Error Messages Displayed While Setup Updates Your Computer
When you install any of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, the following message is displayed on the screen: While this message is displayed on the screen, you may receive one of the following error messages: Microsoft Encarta...
- Mac Encarta 97: Readme.txt: Performance
The following article contains the Performance section of the Microsoft Encarta 97 Encyclopedia Readme.txt file and details suggestions on how to optimize Encarta's performance.
- Mac Encarta 97: Readme.txt: Troubleshooting and Suggestions
The following article contains the Troubleshooting and Suggestions sections of the Microsoft Encarta 97 Encyclopedia Readme.txt file. These sections list some common troubleshooting tips for running Encarta. This article also contains ways for you to...
- Error message when you try to start Student or Encarta: "Please wait while Windows configures"
Describes the error message that you may receive when you try to start Student or Encarta.
- Encarta World Atlas 2000: How to Install the Program to Run from Your Hard Disk
This article describes how to install Microsoft Encarta World Atlas 2000 to run the program from your hard disk.
- Encarta Researcher: Pasted Images Appear Blank or as a Gray Box
When you attempt to paste a picture that you copy from a Web site into Microsoft Encarta Researcher, the picture may appear as a blank or gray box.
- Mac Encarta 97: How To Download Updates Using AOL
Updates for Encarta 97 Encyclopedia Deluxe edition are available on the World Wide Web. This article discusses how to manually download the updates using America Online 3.0 for the Macintosh.
- Encarta 99: Cannot Use Research Organizer in Windows 2000
When you attempt to run Microsoft Encarta 99 Research Organizer on a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, you receive the following error message in a Dr. Watson Log file:
- Mac Encarta 97: Readme.txt: Minimum System Requirements
The following article contains the minimum system requirements needed to run Encarta Encyclopedia for the Macintosh, as stated in the Readme.txt file located on the Microsoft Encarta 97 Encyclopedia CD-ROM.
- Bookshelf 99 Is Removed When You Remove Encarta Reference Suite 2000
When you remove Microsoft Encarta Reference Suite 2000 from your computer, Microsoft Bookshelf 99 is unexpectedly removed as well. NOTE : Bookshelf 99 is not removed when you only remove Microsoft Encarta World English Dictionary 2000.
- Encarta 98 Research Organizer: How to Determine Language Version
Encarta 98 Research Organizer is available in the following language versions: English (United States English) English (World English)
- Encarta 98: Research Organizer Video Clip Is Loaded Slowly
If you use Netscape Navigator to browse the contents of the Encarta 98 Research Organizer CD-ROM, the introductory video clip may be loaded very slowly. In addition, the instructions describing how to play the introductory video clip do not apply if...
- Encarta Reference DVD-ROM Suite 99: Cannot install on Windows 95-based computer
When you try to install Microsoft Encarta Reference DVD-ROM Suite 99 on a Microsoft Windows 95-based computer, you receive one of the following error messages:
- Mac Encarta 97: No Sound in Collages or MindMaze
When you play the MindMaze game in Encarta Encyclopedia, no background music plays. - or - When you go to the Collage section of Encarta 97, you do not hear any theme music on a 68K Macintosh.
- Error message when you try to view an Encarta Online Deluxe article: "Encarta Online Deluxe does not recognize this Passport sign-in"
Describes a problem where you receive a "Encarta Online Deluxe does not recognize this Passport sign-in" error message when you try to view an Encarta Online Deluxe article. Provides information about a resolution.
- You may receive a script error message when you start Encarta
Describes a script error message that you may receive when you start Encarta Reference Library 2003 or later versions.
- Mac Encarta 98: AppleScript Extension Is Not Loaded on Mac OS System 8.5 or Later
When you install Microsoft Encarta 98 on a Macintosh computer running Mac OS System 8.5 or later, a duplicate AppleScript extension appears when you restart the computer. This extension is superimposed by a red "X" and is not loaded.
- You receive an error message when you install Encarta
Describes an error message that you receive when you install Encarta.
- Encarta Encyclopedia 99 Err Msg: An Essential Component for Full Screen Video Is Missing
When you attempt to play a full-screen video in Microsoft Encarta Reference DVD-ROM Suite 99, you may receive the following error message:
- Encarta Encyclopedia: Error Message When You Attempt to View Collage
When you attempt to view a collage in Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia, the collage may not be played. In addition, you may receive one of the following error messages: Encarta Encyclopedia 99 Encarta 98 Encyclopedia
- How To Save Or Reset My Place When I Exit Encarta
When you exit Encarta, it is possible to save or reset your place for the next time you use the program. To do this, you can select or clear the Save My Place option in Encarta.
- Encarta: Error Message When You Try to Use Links in the Encarta Web Center
When you click a hyperlink in the Web Center of any of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, you may receive one of the following error messages: -or-
- Encarta Encyclopedia 99: Program Starts Slowly and Media Clips Are Played Slowly
When you use Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 99, you may encounter the following symptoms: Encarta Encyclopedia 99 may start more slowly than you expect. Media clips may be played very slowly.
- How to Install Encarta Africana in Safe Mode
This article describes how to install Microsoft Encarta Africana in Safe mode.
- Encarta Africana: Dictionary Feature Is Not Included
Microsoft Encarta Africana version 3 does not include a dictionary feature.
- Encarta 99: Black Lines Appear on the Screen During Transitions
When you attempt to view InterActivities or animations in Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 99, black lines may appear on the screen during transitions.
- Encarta Encyclopedia 99: Video Clips Are Not Played Smoothly
When you play a video clip in Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 99, video playback may be choppy or start and stop at random intervals.
- Encarta Virtual Globe 99: Video Playback Is Choppy or Quits Before Video Clip Is Finished Playing
When you play a video clip in Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99 on a Microsoft Windows 95-based computer, the video playback may be broken up or choppy, or may quit before the video clip is finished playing.
- Mac Encarta 98: Minimum System Requirements
This article lists the minimum system requirements to run Encarta 98 Encyclopedia for Macintosh.
- ENC: Content Missing in Right-Side Pane of Encarta Researcher
When you select an item in the Project (left-side) pane that you added to Encarta Researcher, the contents of the selection may not appear in the right-side pane, and you may receive one of the following error messages: -or-
- Mac Encarta 97: Collage Introductions and Sounds Stutter
When you open an Encarta collage, you may notice that the sounds skip or stutter. This occurs on a Power Macintosh (Power PC) computer running the Mac OS. NOTE: Sound in the collages is disabled on computers equipped with Motorola 680x0 processors.
- Encarta 98 Research Organizer Err Msg: Cannot Find the File...
When you start Encarta 98 Research Organizer, you may receive one of the following error messages:
- FactFinder is not included in Encarta Reference Library 2003
Describes a change in the tools that are included with Microsoft Encarta Reference Library.
- Encarta Research Organizer: Images in Project Are not Exported
When you export a project from Microsoft Encarta Research Organizer to a Rich Text (.rtf) file, the file may not contain the images you selected.
- Mac Encarta 98: Flashlight Pointer Not Displayed in Virtual Tour on 68K Series Macintosh Computers
When you view a Virtual Tour in Encarta 98 Encyclopedia for Macintosh on a 68K series Macintosh computer, the flashlight pointer that indicates the direction in which you are looking is not displayed. If you view a Virtual Tour on a Power Macintosh...
- Encarta 99 Research Organizer: Text in Field 2 on Notecard Appears as Asterisks
When you type in Field 2 on a notecard in Microsoft Encarta Research Organizer 99, the text in the field may appear as asterisks.
- Fonts Installed by Encarta 98 Encyclopedia for Windows
This article lists the fonts that are installed and used by Microsoft Encarta 98 Encyclopedia for Windows.
- Encarta 97/Bookshelf 98: Invalid Page Fault Starting Program
When you start Encarta 97 Encyclopedia or Bookshelf 98, you may receive an error message similar to the following error message: Encarta Error Message If you click the Details button, you receive the following message: Bookshelf Error Message
- Cannot Uninstall SP2 After Installing Encarta Virtual Globe 99
After you install Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99 on a computer with Internet Explorer 4 Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed, SP2 may no longer appear in the list of programs that can be removed by using the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel.
- Encarta Researcher: How to Select Notes to Build a Report
When you build a report in Microsoft Encarta Researcher, you may be unable to select or clear the notes that you want or do not want to appear in the report. When you click the note, you do not select or clear the note item.
- Encarta: Cannot Download Image from Active Server Pages (ASP)
When you add a dynamic image to Microsoft Encarta Researcher, such as a map or a live picture, the wrong image may be imported or a red X may be displayed in place of the image.
- ENC: Club Encarta Updates Only Available Through October 31, 2003
Microsoft Encarta Deluxe and DVD 2003 products offer article content updates through the Internet. These updates are available until October 2003. All previously updated content will remain available for past products, as per previous guidelines....
- Encarta 2000: Unable to install program
This article describes how to obtain an update file that corrects problems you may experience when you install the U.S. version of any of the programs that are listed at the beginning of this article. During installation, the following error message...
- Encarta: How to Obtain the DVD-ROM Version of Your Program
This article describes how you can obtain the DVD-ROM version of one of the programs listed at the beginning of this article if you currently own the CD-ROM version of that program.
- Availability of Encarta Online and Description of Support Options
This article describes the MSN Learning and Research and the MSN Learning and Research Plus Web sites and provides information about support options for these sites.
- Encarta, MapPoint, or Streets and Trips may stop responding at the opening screen when you start the program
When you try to start one of the programs listed in the "Applies to" section, the program may stop responding (hang) at the opening screen.
- Encarta: Program Does Not Start When It Is Installed in the Same Folder on a Dual Boot Computer
The programs listed at the beginning of this article may not start when they are installed on a computer that is running both the Microsoft Windows 98 and the Microsoft Windows 2000 operating systems (dual boot). For example, when you try to start...
- Encarta 99: Find Feature Finds Words Even When You Misspell Them
When you use the Find feature to search for content in any of the Microsoft programs listed at the beginning of this article, you may notice that you can find words even when you misspell them.
- Sounds Are Choppy or Are Not Played in Encarta and My Personal Tutor
When you attempt to play an animation with sound or a pronunciation in one of the Microsoft programs listed earlier in this article, you may experience one of the following symptoms: Sounds may not play. Sounds may be broken up or choppy. Introductory...
- Mac Encarta 97: Can't Select Text From Right to Left
When you attempt to select a word or series of words in a text field by dragging the mouse from right to left, you may only be able to highlight the last word or letter. This occurs on a Macintosh computer equipped with a Motorola 680x0 series...
- Encarta Ref Suite 99 Err Msg: Please Insert the Disk Labeled...
The following error message may appear when you try to run one or more of the installation programs listed below. When you click OK , you receive the following error message: Where <diskname> and <filename> are one of the value pairs listed in the...
- Encarta World English Dictionary: QuickDefine Dialog Box Closes Immediately After You Open It
If you right-click a word in any Microsoft Office program, and then click Define , the QuickDefine window opens briefly, and then disappears.
- Encarta 2000: Hal.dll Error Message When You Attempt to Install Program
When you attempt to install one of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, you may receive an error message similar to the following: "*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x01010000,0x0000000C,0x00000001,0x80010000) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL***...
- Works Suite 2003: Contents of the Works Suite 2003 CD-ROM Set
This article describes the contents of each CD-ROM that is included with Microsoft Works Suite 2003. Works Suite 2003 includes the following six programs: Microsoft Works 7.0 Microsoft Word 2002 Microsoft Picture It! Photo 7.0 Microsoft Encarta...
- Research service does not support the addition of local sources in Office 2003
Explains that the Research service does not support the addition of local sources in Encarta 2003, Bookshelf 2003, other Office 2003 programs.
- Wave Audio Volume Is Unexpectedly Raised
When you open or close Encarta Explorer in Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 2000, the volume level of Wave Audio and Wave/Direct Sc sounds is unexpectedly raised.
- Multimedia: Hangs While Updating Files or Program Does Not Start
When you install any of the programs listed earlier in this article, your computer may stop responding (hang) when the following message is displayed: In addition, when you attempt to start Encarta Virtual Globe 99, you may see the product's logo...
- Err Msg: Enc9632 Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Enc9632.exe
When you start Encarta 96 Encyclopedia in Windows 95 or Windows 98, you may receive the following error message: If you click the Details button, you receive the following message:
- ECS: Error Message: Cannot Connect to School Server
When you attempt to connect to an Encarta Class Server using the Teacher client, you may receive the following error message:
- Works Suite: Internal Error 2355 During Installation
When you install the Microsoft Works Suite Encarta CD, you may receive the following error message: At this point, the installation process ends, and Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia and Microsoft Word 2000 were not installed.
- ECS: Error Message: Sorry! Content Advisor Will Not Allow You to See This Site
When browsing to the Encarta Class Server Student Web page the following error message appears:
- ECS: Teacher is Unable to Log On After Being Deleted and Readded
In Encarta Class Server, if you use the Admin program to delete and readd a teacher, the following error message appears:
- Dr. Watson Error Occurs Starting Virtual Globe 99
When you attempt to start Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99 on a computer running Windows NT, a Dr. Watson error occurs. The Dr. Watson error is an application error in Msworld.exe. Encarta Virtual Globe 99 modifies the registry when starting. As...
- Works Suite 99 Error Message: Launcher Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module <Unknown>
When you install Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 99 included with Microsoft Works Suite 99, you may receive the following error message:
- Works Suite 2001: Contents of the Works Suite 2001 CD-ROM Set
This article describes the contents of each CD-ROM included with Microsoft Works Suite 2001. Works Suite 2001 consists of the following six programs: Microsoft Works 6.0 Microsoft Word 2000 Microsoft Picture It! Publishing Microsoft Encarta...
- Works Suite 2000: List of Installed Products and Support Options for Individual Products
The following products are installed when you install Microsoft Works Suite 2000 on your computer. Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 2000 Microsoft Money 2000 Standard Microsoft Expedia Streets and Trips 2000 Microsoft Home Publishing 2000 Microsoft Money...
- Plus! 98: Garfield Desktop Theme Is Missing Wallpaper Graphics
When you use the Garfield desktop theme included in Plus! 98, you no longer see the animated portion of the wallpaper containing the picnic basket and the ants after you install Encarta Encyclopedia.
- You receive the "Internal Error 2755.1631" error message during Microsoft product installation
Describes how to troubleshoot installation error messages in Picture It!, Money, Encarta, Streets and Trips, Works, and Digital Image.
- Multimedia: Only Administrator Can Install Program Under NT 4.0
If you attempt to install one of the programs listed earlier in this article on a computer running Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, you may receive one of the following error messages:
- Research Organizer Err Msg: Setup Could Not Open the DLL...
When you attempt to install Encarta 98 Research Organizer, if you save the Rosetup.exe installation file to the hard disk, and then double-click the saved file, you may receive the following error message:
- Internal Internet Links Do Not Work
When you click a link (for example, Web Links or Yearbook) to the Internet from Encarta 97, your web browser opens, but the Encarta page does not open.
- Virtual Globe: Administrator Rights Needed on NT-Based Computer
If you attempt to install Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe on a Microsoft Windows NT-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages: When you attempt to start Encarta Virtual Globe on a Windows NT-based computer, Dr. Watson may...
- EWED: Internet Explorer Opens New Browser Window When You Use the QuickDefine Feature
When you use the QuickDefine feature of Microsoft Encarta World English Dictionary with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5, Internet Explorer opens a new browser window. The following text is displayed in the address bar of the new browser window where...
- Setup Runs Slowly; Virus Extension Loaded
When you install Microsoft Encarta 97, installation takes a very long time to complete, or it does not complete.
- "Ordinal Not Found" Error While Installing on NT-Based Computer
While you are installing Encarta Reference Suite 99 on a Microsoft Windows NT 4.0-based computer, you may receive the following error message:
- Error Message: One or More Shockwave Files Are Missing...
When you attempt to use an Interactivity or play an animation in Microsoft Encarta World Atlas 2000, or when you attempt to play a Helpful Movie in Microsoft PictureIt! 2000, you may receive the following error message: If you click Yes , Microsoft...
- Research Organizer: PC-Cillin II Finds Virus in Soccer.ero File
When you use the virus protection program PC-Cillin to scan your hard disk, you may receive a warning message that the Soccer.ero file located in the following folder contains the WORD-Wazzu.BP-Z virus <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Reference\Encarta...
- EVG99: Dual Pointer Focus on Home Screen and Dialog Box
If you click "Name That Place" Game or Statistics Center on the Discover home screen in Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99, the pointer appears to focus on the World Statistics or Name That Place Game dialog box as well as the Discover home screen in...
- Virtual Globe 99: "Disputed" Is Repeated in Dynamic Sensor Tool
When you view a disputed area such as the Falkland Islands or the Western Sahara in Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99, the word "Disputed" appears twice inside the Dynamic Sensor tool, as in the following example: Falkland Islands (disputed) (Disputed)
- Virtual Globe 99: Cannot Copy or Print Frame from Video Clip
When you attempt to copy or print a frame from a video clip in Microsoft Encarta Virtual Globe 99, only the caption and copyright information are copied or printed.
- How to Use the Search Assistant in Internet Explorer 5
This articles describes how to use the Search Assistant in Internet Explorer 5. The following topics are discussed: How to enable, disable, and resize the Search bar How to use the Search Assistant How to customize the Search Assistant settings
- July 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
The July 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update is a package of software updates that address common application compatibility issues in Windows Vista.
- How to resolve problems that occur with the JET component and with the MDAC component
Describes the symptoms that you may experience if corrupted the installations of the DCOM component, the JET component, and the MDAC component are corrupted.
- List of Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML) versions
Describes versions of Microsoft XML Core Services that are available or installed by Microsoft products or software updates.
- Programs that may experience a change in behavior after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
Lists programs that may experience a change in behavior when the programs run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer.
- MultiMedia: Troubleshooting Invalid Page Fault (IPF) and Exception Errors (Part 1)
This article is part 1 of a series of two Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that present a systematic approach to eliminating invalid page fault (IPF) and exception error messages in Microsoft Home Products.
- Flesch readability statistics in Word 2002 may differ from Flesch readability statistics in Word 2000
The Flesch Reading Ease statistics for text written with Microsoft Word 2002 may return a lower value for identical text written with Microsoft Word 2000. For example in Word 2000, the following sentences return a Flesch Reading Ease value of 94.5. In...
- Cannot Edit Content in Frames or Iframes with DHTML
The following items may not work in "viewlinked" element behaviors in a Frame or Iframe on a Web page: The cut, copy, paste, and delete functions may not work from the shortcut keys or the shortcut menu. The underline, bold, and italic shortcut keys...
- BUG: An Access Violation Occurs When You Use the /Og Switch for a Call That Passes an Object That Is Returned by a Static Member
When an application makes a call and uses a parameter that is the result of a static member function, or uses a parameter that is a result of a non-member function that is returning an object, the application may generate an access violation.
- INFO: Strong Encryption Components for Windows CE
Encryption services on Windows CE are provided by the Cryptography API (CAPI). Additionally, you can establish an encrypted channel to a Web server by using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) functionality provided by Schannel.dll. In both cases, the...
- Error Message: Windows Installer Internal Error 2889_ISAPATHDLG
When you install any of the products listed at the beginning of this article, you may receive something similar to the following error message: When opening a Microsoft Works 2000 Word Processor document, you may receive the following error message:...
- MultiMedia: Troubleshooting Invalid Page Fault (IPF) and Exception Errors (Part 2)
This article is part 2 of a series of two Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that present a systematic approach to eliminating invalid page fault (IPF) and exception error messages in Microsoft Home Products.
- INFO: Creating a Persistent Registry
This article pertains to the RAM-based (or object store-based) registry, which was the sole registry available in Windows CE versions before Windows CE .NET. The RAM-based registry is an optional component in Windows CE .NET. The RAM-based registry...
- Access Violation Error Message in Ppp.dll When You Browse By Using Dial-Up Services on an AM33 Processor
When you are browsing the network by using dial-up services on an AM33-processor-based platform, you may receive an access violation error message. A supported fix is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE Core OS QFE . To resolve this problem...
- INFO: Configuring Auto-Connect Notification for ActiveSync
A common implementation of Microsoft ActiveSync services on a device involves configuring a designated hardware port to automatically start ActiveSync when the port detects that the device has been connected to another device (or "cradled"). This...
- Err Msg: The [Filename] File Is Linked to Missing Export...
When you attempt to start a program, you may receive any of the following error messages: A device attached to the system is not functioning.The filename file is linked to missing export MFC42.DLL:6453WordPad.exe file is linked to a missing export...
- Works Suite 99 Error Message: There Is Not Enough Disk Space for Setup to Continue
When you attempt to install one of the programs included in Microsoft Works Suite 99, you may receive the following error message:
- Name of Storage Card Changes When You Add Another Storage Card
When you add a second storage card to your handheld device, the name of the first storage card may change after a suspend/resume cycle. For example, when the system is on, the first storage card my be renamed from "Storage Card". After a...
- You receive an"MSIEXEC caused an invalid page fault in MSIEXEC.EXE at ####:00400288" error message when you install Office 2000 programs
Explains that you receive an "MSIEXEC caused an invalid page fault in MSIEXEC.EXE at ####:00400288" error message when you install Office 2000 programs. This issue occurs when your computer is infected with the Win95.cih virus.
- How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals
Describes how to easily order service packs on CD, replace Microsoft software or hardware, and replace product manuals.
- Bookshelf 2000: What's New in Bookshelf 2000
This article lists the new features and updated content included in Microsoft Bookshelf 2000, in addition to differences between Bookshelf 2000 and Microsoft Bookshelf 99.
- Installing and Using "Teaching and Learning with Microsoft"
This article contains the following information about the "Teaching and Learning with Microsoft" compact disc set: What is "Teaching and Learning with Microsoft"? System requirements How to obtain your own copy of "Teaching and Learning with Microsoft"...
- WD97: How to Upgrade from Works to Word 97
This article explains how to upgrade from any version of Microsoft Works for Windows to Microsoft Word 97 for Windows.
- WD2000: Clicking "Look Up Reference" or "Define" Connects to Internet, or Nothing Happens
When you click Look Up Reference on the Tools menu, or click Define on the Standard toolbar or on the shortcut menu when you right-click a selected word, one of the following events occurs: If you have an Internet connection, you are directed to the...
- Bookshelf 99 & Bookshelf 2000: How to Run the Program Without the CD-ROM
You can use three different methods to install Bookshelf 99 or Bookshelf 2000, two of which can run the program without the CD-ROM. This article describes the following three methods you can use to install Bookshelf 99 or Bookshelf 2000: Standard...
- INFO: Some Screen Readers Are Not Fully Compatible with Access Keys
Some screen readers are not fully compatible with access keys. This article describes common problems that screen readers have with element announcement, elements that cannot receive focus, and keyboard focus when a user presses the access key for an...
- Unhandled Exception on Pocket PC with More Than 32 MB of System RAM
If you try to gain access to a file that is stored across a 32-MB boundary on a Pocket PC that contains more than 32 MB of system RAM, an exception in Filesys.exe occurs.
- Cannot View Album Information from .mp3 Files on Your AutoPC
When you view the information on an .mp3 audio file in your AutoPC, title information is displayed, but the album information may not be displayed.
- ECS: Question Slugs Appear as Red Xs in the Teacher Client
When viewing a Learning Resource in the Teacher Client all question slugs appear as red Xs.
- INFO: SharePoint Portal Server Support Guidelines
This article discusses several support guidelines for the use of SharePoint Portal Server (SPS) 2001.
- Works 2000: Minimum System Requirements
This articles lists the minimum system requirements needed to run Microsoft Works 2000.
- ECS: Downloaded Learning Resource Doesn't Appear in My Learning Resources
After downloading a learning resource, it does not appear in My Learning Resources.
- Works 2001: Minimum System Requirements
This article lists the minimum system requirements needed to run Microsoft Works 6 and Microsoft Works Suite 2001.
- Err Msg: A Device That Is Required to Play This Type of Media Was Not Detected on Your Computer
When you attempt to play the MPEG Layer 3 (MPEG3) sample media file using the Media Test Tool included with the programs listed at the beginning of this article, you may receive the following error message:
- Bookshelf: How to Turn Off Sounds and Visual Effects
If you are unable to start one of the Microsoft programs listed at the beginning of this article, or if you experience problems when you attempt to use the enhanced sound or display features in one of the Microsoft programs listed at the beginning of...
- Multimedia: Excessive Processor Usage When Programs Are Running
When you run any of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, any utility that monitors processor usage may indicate that up to 100% of your CPU time is in use. NOTE : This behavior does not effect the performance of the program or of your...
- OFF98: Troubleshooting Installation of Classroom Tools Disc 1
The first compact disc (CD) of the "Teaching and Learning with Microsoft" package contains an installer program called "Install Office Classroom Tools" that you can use to install the components on the CD. These components are the following: Student...
- How to Reinstall Windows 95 Audio and Video Compression
If you experience problems when you attempt to play certain sound or video clips, but you can play most sound and video clips without any problems, the audio and video compression components of Windows 95 may not be properly installed.
- Multimedia: Program Hangs or Error Message When Starting
When you start one of the programs listed earlier in this article, you may encounter either of the following symptoms: The program appears to stop responding (hang). You receive an error message similar to one of the following:
- OFF98: System and Disk Space Requirements for MS Office 98 Gold
This article contains a listing of the system requirements and disk space requirements for Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition Gold and the stand- alone programs included in Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition Gold.
- How to query the Microsoft Knowledge Base by using keywords and query words
Describes and lists keywords and query words that you can use to search Microsoft Knowledge Base articles.
- "Help and Support has encountered a problem" error in Windows Update
...KB826716 LOC_TO Applies to 185521 185521 Microsoft Windows Update 35026 35026 Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia 2000 Deluxe Edition kbAudGeneralUser kbAudEndUser 1 http://support.microsoft...
- Works Error Message: Installer Terminated Prematurely
When you try to install one of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, you may receive one of the following error messages: When you click , Setup quits.
- Works: How to Install Works 6 or Works Suite 2001
This article describes how to install Works or Works Suite.
- Perform a clean startup to determine whether background programs are interfering with your game or program
Describes how to perform a clean startup procedure to prevent background programs from interfering with games or programs. Explains how to perform clean startup in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.
- March 2007 Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
Provides a link to an article that describes a package of software updates to address common application compatibility issues in Windows Vista.
- May 2008 Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Application Compatibility Update
Describes a package of software updates that address common application compatibility issues in Windows Vista and in Windows Server 2008.
- You may see unexpected animation effects when you view a presentation in PowerPoint 2004 for Mac
Explains that you may see unexpected animation effects when you view a presentation in PowerPoint 2004 for Mac. When you edit the slide, the animation effects do not appear in the Custom Animation dialog box.
- You cannot use the keyboard or the mouse to advance slides or animations in Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2004 for Mac
Describes a problem where you cannot use the mouse or the keyboard to advance slides or animations in Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2004 for Mac.
- Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Installation Read Me
Describes the Installation Read ME file that is provided with Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac.
- "Microsoft PowerPoint has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message when you try to export an image from PowerPoint 2004 for Mac
Describes a problem where PowerPoint 2004 for Mac quits unexpectedly when you right-click an image in the PowerPoint 2004 for Mac presentation, and then click "Save as Picture".
- Changes are reverted one at a time when you use the Undo feature in the Compatibility Report to revert multiple changes that were made to your project in Microsoft PowerPoint 2004 for Mac
Discusses a problem where the Undo feature reverts a single change after you use the Fix All feature in the Compatibility Report to make multiple changes.
- How to create a design template in PowerPoint for the Macintosh
Design templates contain predesigned formats and color schemes that you can apply to any presentation to give it a particular look. This article describes how to create a design template that is based on a blank presentation or a presentation that you...
- How to create and modify a Title Master in PowerPoint for the Macintosh
When you create a new presentation, the Title Master option is not available until you create a new Slide Master for that presentation. This article describes how to create and modify a title master. Note Finish working on the slide master before you...
- A temporary folder is the default location to save the file when you use the Save As feature to save a PowerPoint 2004 for Mac presentation
Discusses an issue where the default save location for a Microsoft PowerPoint 2004 for Mac presentation is a temporary folder when you use the Save As feature.
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2004 for Mac Read Me
Provides the text of the Microsoft PowerPoint 2004 for Mac Read Me file.
- The Fonts menu in Office for Mac does not appear in the WYSIWYG format
Discusses the problem where the Fonts menu Office for Mac programs does not appear in the WYSIWYG format.
- The Windows Vista Application Compatibility Update
Describes a package of software updates that address common application compatibility issues in Windows Vista. This update improves support in Windows Vista for the applications that are listed in this article.
- "Product key not valid" error in Microsoft Games, MapPoint, or Streets and Trips
Describes that you receive a "The product key is not valid" error message when you install and try to activate a Microsoft game, Streets and Trips, or MapPoint. Provides several methods to resolve the problem.
- Caption text is missing from the caption bar when you play a media clip in Windows Media Player 10
Describes an issue that occurs when you play a media clip that uses SAMI closed-caption captioning in Windows Media Player 10.
- Description of Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N
Describes the new Windows XP Home Edition N and Windows XP Professional N operating systems that Microsoft released in compliance with the European Commission Decision. The new operating systems do not include Windows Media Player.
- You receive a "A security problem occurred" error message when you try to play content on a secure Web site in Windows Media Player 10
Describes an error message you receive when you try to play content from a secure Web site in Windows Media Player 10.
- Error message when you try to synchronize video files in Windows Media Player 10
Describes an issue where you receive an error message when you try to synchronize video files to a portable device in Windows Media Player 10.
- FIX: The wrong icon appears when you insert media into a removable media device
Discusses a hotfix for a problem in Windows Media Player 10 and the Portable Media Devices Control Panel add-in. The wrong icon appears when media is inserted into a removable media device.
- "Installation of Microsoft Office Outlook Connector can't continue without Microsoft Office Outlook" error message when you install Outlook Connector
When you try to install Outlook Connector, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
- The wireless keyboard or mouse may not respond and may start and stop at irregular intervals
Explains that your mouse device may not respond or may start and stop at irregular intervals.
- Windows Installer error messages
Describes a problem that may occur if the Microsoft Windows Installer Service is damaged.
- You may experience decreased battery life when you synchronize devices in Windows Media Player 10
Describes an issue where your portable computer's battery life is decreased when you synchronize devices in Windows Media Player 10. This issue occurs if your system is configured to convert audio and video files in the background.
- How to synchronize time zone settings between MSN Calendar and Microsoft Outlook after you install Office Outlook Connector for MSN
This article describes how to synchronize time zone settings between MSN Calendar and Microsoft Outlook after you install Microsoft Office Outlook Connector for MSN on your computer.
- How to create a log file for Office Outlook Connector
This article describes how to create a log file (MSNCon.log) to help you troubleshoot issues that you may experience with Microsoft Office Outlook Connector. Note You must restart Microsoft Outlook after you perform the steps to create the log file...
- You cannot access e-mail folders that are in non-primary MSN accounts or Hotmail accounts
If you try to open the Calendar, Contacts, or the Tasks and Notes folders in an MSN e-mail account with Microsoft Office Outlook, you may receive the following error message: If you click in the error message and then try to access the Calendar,...
- "Error reading from file" error message when you try to install programs on a computer that is running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
Describes that you receive an 1305 error message when you try to install programs on a computer that is running Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
- FIX: Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 may not work correctly after you upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Describes two bugs in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 that prevent Windows Media Player 10 from working correctly after an upgrade.
- How to obtain a new product key for Microsoft Games for Windows, Streets &Trips, or MapPoint
When you install or reinstall a Games for Windows, Microsoft Streets & Trips, or Microsoft MapPoint program, you are prompted to enter the product key. The product key is used during Microsoft software installation to "unlock" the product. If you do not...
- FIX: Windows Media Player may return an NS_E_INVALID_DATA error when playing Fast Cached content
Describes a hotfix for a problem that occurs in Windows Media Player 9 and in Windows Media Player 10. The Player returns an error when playing back Fast Cached content.
- Your Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 installation may stop, and you do not receive an error message
Describes a problem where your installation stops abruptly when you use Windows Update or use Microsoft Update to install Windows XP SP2. To resolve this problem, free space on your hard disk.
- Description of the Windows Media Format Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and for Windows 7 KN
Describes the Windows Media Format Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and for Windows 7 KN.
- Description of the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 1 (11.1.0)
Discusses the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 1 (11.1.0). This service pack addresses several security and stability issues in Office 2004 for Mac programs.
- How to use the Application.AutomationSecurity property in Office v.X and in Office 2004 for Mac
Describes how a developer can use the Application.AutomationSecurity property to control the security warning in Microsoft Office for Mac programs.
- Register your Microsoft hardware
Describes how to register your Microsoft hardware.
- Error message when you install a Microsoft game or mapping program
Describes that you receive an error message that prevents you from installing a Microsoft game or mapping program.
- Microsoft Products Stop Responding When Playing Sounds
When you play sounds in some Microsoft programs, the program may stop responding (hang).
- A Visio Web drawing is displayed incorrectly in Visio Services
Describes an issue in which shape data may be linked to the wrong records when you upload a Web Drawing (*.vdw) to a server that is running SharePoint Server 2010.
- Differences between PowerPoint 2004 for Mac and Office PowerPoint 2003
Discusses the differences between PowerPoint 2004 for Mac and Office PowerPoint 2003.
- How to add multiple MSN accounts or multiple MSN Hotmail accounts for use with Office Outlook Connector for MSN
This article describes how to add another MSN account or another MSN Hotmail account in Microsoft Outlook for use with Microsoft Office Outlook Connector if you already have an MSN account or an MSN Hotmail account that is configured for use with...
- Description of the Windows Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and for Windows 7 KN
Describes the Windows Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N and for Windows 7 KN.
- <Program> Causes Invalid Page Fault Error in Msvcrt.dll
You may receive the following error message when you run a Microsoft Visual Basic program:
- How to determine application compatibility with Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
Contains information about application compatibility testing that was performed for Windows Server 2003 SP2. Contains two tables that summarize the results of the tests.
- "Error reading from file" error message when you install <product> on Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
When you try to install one of the programs listed In the "Applies to" section, on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, or Microsoft Windows Millennium (Me) you may receive the following error message: Depending on the...
- Mac MM: How to Run Program Without CD-ROM
The information in this article explains how to install the multimedia programs listed at the top of this article directly to your hard drive. This lets you run the program without using the compact disc. NOTE : Installing any Microsoft program as a...
- Analog Overlay WDM Drivers Do Not Work with DirectShow
DirectShow programs may not provide playback when they are used with analog overlay DVD hardware supported by Windows Driver Model (WDM) drivers. This problem is known to occur in conjunction with the Creative PC-DVD Encore Dxr2 DVD-ROM system.
- TAPI Connections Remain Open After Disconnection During Send or Receive Procedure
After a TAPI connection is unexpectedly disconnected during a send or receive procedure, the TAPI connection may remain open, and this may prevent you from establishing any new connections.
- Unexpected Resume When Suspending After an Alarm Resume
A Windows CE-based device may automatically resume if it is suspended shortly after it resumes from an alarm. For example, this problem can occur if you first start the World Clock tool, set an alarm, and then suspend the Windows CE-based device....
- Poor Performance Using the FAT File System
The access time for input/output (I/O) operations increases proportionally with the number of existing files. The implementation of the FAT file system on Windows CE does not cache any information. The code that is included with this update adds...
- INFO: Improving Windows CE Video Driver Performance: Line Drawing Operations
Most Windows CE display drivers use the Graphics Primitive Engine (GPE) to provide default processing for display driver primitives. The GPE::Line method draws lines on the destination surface using the parameters provided in the GPELineParms and...
- PRB: Scheduling Log Functions SchedLogGetProcessName, SchedlLogGetThreadProgramCounter Return Invalid Strings
The scheduling Log functions SchedLogGetProcessName() and SchedLogGetThreadProgramCounter() return invalid strings/values.
- PRB: WAVEUI Component Doesn't Receive FORMATCHOOSE_FORMAT_VERIFY
A replacement WAVEUI component doesn't receive FORMATCHOOSE_FORMAT_VERIFY messages. FORMATCHOOSE_FORMAT_VERIFY is used to determine which waveform-audio formats will be displayed when acmFormatChoose is called.
- BUG: GetModuleFileName Behaves Incorrectly on External FSDMGR-Based File Systems
A call to the function GetModuleFileName() on a file that was loaded from an external FSDMGR -based file system fails. Additionally, if you call GetModuleFileName(NULL) from a program running on an external FSDMGR -based file system, it fails.
- INFO: Command Line Options for Readlog.exe
This article describes the Readlog.exe utility's command line options.
- INFO: On a MIPS Processor You Can Enable the DE Bit in the OEMInit Function
On a MIPS processor, a kernel variable, basePSR, is used immediately upon return from the OEMInit function to load the CP0 register. The diagnostic bit (DE) is not altered from the basePSR value set during boot, so the DE bit set into basePSR in the...
- Windows CE 3.0 IESAMPLE Occupies Storage Memory Twice During File Download
Internet file downloads that use the IESAMPLE MSHTML control require twice as much storage memory as is necessary until the file is deleted from the Internet Explorer cache folder (the Temporary Internet Files folder). The IESAMPLE MSHTML control...
- AM33 Does Not Start When Using Interrupts in the Boot Loader
Windows CE does not start if you use a boot loader that uses an AM33 interrupt. Windows CE expects a value of zero at INT_CODE for the AM33 Trap Base Register (TBR) when Windows CE starts and constructs the interrupt vector table. If a boot loader...
- How To Use NDIS IOCTLs to Manage Adapters and Bindings
This article describes how an application can instruct Windows CE to add or remove a miniport adapter, or bind, unbind, or rebind adapters to protocol drivers. This is done through the use of I/O controls (IOCTLs) to the network driver interface...
- PRB: "InitRegistry FAILED" Error Message During the Build Process
In Platform Builder 3.0, you may receive the following error message in the build output during the build process: In Platform Builder 4.0, you may receive the following error message in the build output during the build process:
- Windows CE database volumes may be corrupted because of the memory device that hosts the volumes
Microsoft Windows CE database volumes may be corrupted if the memory device that hosts the volumes is disconnected while it is being written to or if it loses power. Because Windows CE database volumes are intended to be transactional, the volumes...
- FIX: Security Fix for SSL Certificate Chain Verification
Windows CE .NET version 4.0 or version 4.1328464 or 328584 respectively For a Microsoft Windows CE .NET version 4.0 or version 4.1 version of this article, see 328464 or 328584 respectively. The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) profile of...
- HTTPD Does Not Return Some Data Requests
An Internet Explorer client that requests data from the Windows CE 3.0 Add-On Pack implementation of HTTPD server may not receive the requested data from the server. For example, while a page may appear, some images in the document may not be...
- You receive an "Out of memory" error message when you use Internet Explorer for Windows CE
If you use Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows CE for a long time, you may receive an "Out of memory" error message. Hotfix information 3.0328896A supported software update is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE 3.0 Core OS QFE 328896....
- OEMArmCacheMode Settings Are Not Enforced
The OEMArmCacheMode function settings are not consistently enforced in Microsoft Windows CE 3.0. The OEMArmCacheMode function sets the C and B CPU bits to be used to build the ARM page tables. The C and B bits are part of the page table entries; they...
- FIX: A program that reads or writes from more than one thread to a single file may cause an access violation exception in Windows CE 3.0 Platform Builder
Updates the FAT file system component in Windows CE Platform Builder 3.0 to fix a problem that causes an access violation. This exception occurs when multiple threads try to access the same file.
- INFO: Warm Resetting a Windows CE D9000 ODO Platform
The D9000 ODO platform has some hardware limitations that make a warm reset of a RAM image unreliable, and therefore the warm reset is not supported. The warm reset on the D9000 ODO is supported with a FLASH image.
- Map Information in Programs Based on the WGS-84 Map Datum
The map information in the Microsoft programs listed at the beginning of this article is based upon WGS84 (World Geodetic System 1984) in Plate Carree, or projections in rendering. Because of the methods these programs use to display map...
- Mac Kids/Multimedia: ErrMsg: Not Enough Room on Drive
When you attempt to run or install one of the products listed above, you may receive the following error message:
- Err Msg: Could Not Open <Filename> Because It Is Already Open with Write Permission by Another User
When you attempt to start one of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, you may receive one of the following error messages where is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the program CD-ROM. If you click OK , the program...
- Err Msg: File Is Linked to Missing Export Mfc42.dll:6453
When you attempt to start one of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, you may receive the following error message:
- Works Suite: How to Get Support for Programs Included in Microsoft Works Suite
The following programs are listed on the Programs tab of the Microsoft Works Suite Task Launcher: Microsoft Works Suite 2003 Microsoft Word 10 (2002) Microsoft Works Spreadsheet Microsoft Works Database Microsoft Works Calendar My Projects Organizer...
- PRB: Device Suspends After One Minute
A Windows CE device suspends after one minute, even though the Idle timeout registry settings are set to disable idle suspend , or are set to values other than one minute.
- Target Device May Hang When Using a Large Database by Means of RAPI
A Windows CE target device may stop responding (hang) when the device uses Remote API (RAPI) calls from the personal computer to search a database. This problem has been observed in databases that contain approximately 16,000 or more entries, and...
- TAPI Updates for Windows CE 3.0 Core Operating System
The following Telephony API (TAPI) issues have been addressed in the update that is described in this article. An exception can occur when a TAPI-aware program allows a blind call transfer to an unspecified number. The TAPI lineBlindTransfer()...
- PRB: Devices that Implement Mouse Support Fail to Prevent Auto Suspend
Auto Suspend works as expected for keyboard and touch events. However, drivers/applications, such as for external mice, that use mouse_event() or keybd_event() do not prevent Auto Suspend even though there is external input device activity.
- PRB: Using MEM_TOP_DOWN Flag With VirtualAlloc May Cause DLL Loading to Fail
When you are using the MEM_TOP_DOWN flag with calls to VirtualAlloc , loading of a dynamic link library (DLL) may fail.
- DOC: SYSTEM_INFO Structure Incorrectly Defined
The Platform Builder Documentation incorrectly describes the SYSTEM_INFO structure.
- Interrupts Are Not Masked Correctly While NMI Runs on SH4
On the SH4 platform, interrupts may not be masked correctly while NMI runs, and this might cause memory access problems. A supported fix is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE Core OS QFE . To resolve this problem immediately, search for...
- PPP Does Not Work If a PPP Server Does Not Provide a Gateway IP Address
A Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) dial-up connection may not work properly if the PPP server does not provide the IP address of a gateway in its IPCP response. Also, the PPP client always requests the IP address of a Domain Name System (DNS) server...
- DNS queries fail when the domain suffix ends with a period
If a device's Domain Name System (DNS) domain suffix ends with a period, the system cannot resolve application DNS requests for host names that are not fully qualified domain names (FQDN). Hotfix information 3.0324057A supported software update is...
- Iesample May Deadlock Under Low-Memory Condition
When you start Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer under low-memory conditions, the Iesample process may deadlock in an exception loop. 3.078A supported software update is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE 3.0 Core OS QFE 78. To resolve...
- INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE Records Are Lost On Reset
When you are using ADOCE to manage a database, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE records may be lost. This symptom may occur if the Windows CE device is reset before the database connection object is closed.
- Dial Setting Is Not Used After a Warm Boot
The first time that you use the Terminal (Pegterm.exe) program after a warm boot with a connection set for a manual device (or other non-default settings), the dial settings are not applied to the connection device. Using the same connection set...
- eMbedded Visual Basic Programs on Windows CE Devices with Floating Point Emulator Do Not Display Character Data
eMbedded Visual Basic programs that run on x86-based Windows CE-based devices that use the floating point emulator because there is no coprocessor do not display any text in buttons, edit controls, labels, and so on. 3.060A supported software...
- A Deadlock Condition May Occur in the FAT File System
If multiple threads call the CreateFile function on a "Storage Card" volume repeatedly, the volume may lock up and the threads that are trying to call CreateFile on the volume may stop responding (hang). 3.0Q326493A supported software update is...
- Scan Code and KBDLLHOOKSTRUCT Time Members Are Not Set
The scan code and time members of the KBDLLHOOKSTRUCT structure are not set when you use the SetWindowsHookEx function to install a keyboard hook. 3.071A supported software update is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE 3.0 Core OS QFE 71....
- FIX: You Cannot Connect to Some HTTPS Protocol Web Sites
When you try to connect to a Web site that uses the HTTPS protocol, you receive the following error message, and you cannot access the Web site: An error occurred in the secure channel support. Hotfix Information Specify the OS versionSpecify the...
- FIX: A Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) Connection Does Not Work When You Use CHAP Authentication
FIX: A Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) Connection Does Not Work When You Use Challenge-Handshake Authentication Protocol (CHAP)
- Use Dlgedit.exe to Edit Platform Builder Dialog Box Templates
Platform Builder does not currently support easy editing of dialog box templates in resource (.res) files. The Microsoft Visual C++ Resource Editor can be used to edit the dialog box templates, but it inserts extra information that may cause some...
- INFO: Creating CEC and BSP Files for a New Platform
BSP and CEC files are used by the Platform Builder integrated development environment (IDE) to summarize a collection of "components" (for example, drivers, resource files, and so forth) along with the instructions on how they relate to one another, as...
- How To Add Internet Explorer Components to a Specific Platform
The Platform Builder MAXALL configuration includes the Pocket Internet Explorer component by default. This article describes how to use the Internet Explorer for Windows CE component in place of Pocket Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer for Windows...
- PRB: Dial-Up Boot Loader Build Fails
When you are trying to build dial-up boot loader, the build fails with an error similar to: Or, when you are using the build command qbuild , this error message appears:
- Windows CE 3.0 May Not Detect an MMX-Capable Processor
When you use a device that is running Windows CE 3.0, the device may not detect an MMX-compatible processor. This problem occurs because the algorithm that is used to detect MMX-capable processors does not properly identify GEODE processors as MMX...
- RasGetEntryProperties() Always Returns Data in the lpb Parameter Buffer
The RasGetEntryProperties function may return data in the buffer that is pointed to by the lpb parameter, even if the lpb parameter was set to null in a previous call to RasSetEntryProperties . If a Remote Access Service (RAS) entry has no...
- PRB: ATL COM Object Fails to Register
A COM server based on Active Template Library (ATL) fails to register on Windows CE. The _Module.UpdateRegistryFromResource function may return the error code 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG).
- BUG: VPN (PPTP) Connectoid Only Supports One Server Name/Address
Attempts to establish a virtual private networking (VPN) point-to-point tunneling protocol (PPTP) connection fail and the error "ERROR_NO_CARRIER" is returned.
- Sinking Events of Objects That Are Dynamically Added to a Scripting Host Are Not Connected to the Script Engine
If you have a browser that supports dynamic HTML, or if you have a scripting host that attempts to add JScript code dynamically in which the JScript adds an element that in turn performs actions in response to events, the sinking events for the...
- PRB: Random Exceptions or System Lockup on PowerPC Platform ISR Under Heavy Interrupt Load
When you are using a PowerPC OEM adaptation layer (OAL) developed with Platform Builder 3.0, random exceptions and system lockups may occur centering around the OAL Interrupt Service Routine (ISR).
- Windows Media file playback quality is lower on SH-4 processor-based platforms
The playback quality of Microsoft Windows Media (WMV) files is noticeably lower on SH-4 processor-based platforms than the playback quality of the same WMF file when it is played on other processors with the same version of the Microsoft Windows...
- Display Suspend/Resume Difficulties with Windows CE
During a suspend/resume sequence, the display may stop responding (hang) and not refresh. New registry entries have been added to help eliminate this problem. ; MQ200 supports saving/restoring video memory surfaces during suspend/resume. ;...
- PRB: Dial-Up Boot Loader Build Fails
Attempts to build the Dial-up Boot Loader file fail, and you receive an error message that reports that the Ppp.res file is missing.
- REPLLOG Times Out Early Over IR
When you try to connect ActiveSync to a desktop host computer by using a serial-based IR dongle, the connection may only make one attempt to connect. The remaining four attempts may time out immediately. A watch-dog thread that is intended to keep...
- Remote Registry Editor May Not Connect to Platform Builder 3.0-Based Device
When you use the Remote Registry Editor tool that is included with Microsoft eMbedded Visual Tools 3.0 to connect to a Platform Builder 3.0-based device, Remote Registry Editor may continuously wait for the Remote Registry client to start. This...
- The FAT File System Does Not Permit an Open File to Be Moved or Renamed
If you try to move a file that is being held open by another process, the MoveFile function does not succeed and generates error 0x80070005 (Access denied) if the file is stored on a FAT volume. The RAM file system permits this action. 3.083A...
- FIX: The /Ot optimization switch generates incorrect code for SHx structures that are passed by value
Fixes a problem that occurs when you use an Hitachi SHx processor. Incorrect code is generated when you use the /Ot optimization switch and when a structure is passed to a function by value. The /Ot switch is implied by the /O and the /O2 switches.
- A Point-to-Point Protocol Connection Is Not Made Intermittently
Creating a Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) connection sometimes does not work. During a PPP session, Microsoft Windows CE sends an IPCP TERMINATE REQUEST packet instead of an LCP TERMINATE REQUEST packet when the time-out limit for an IPCP CONFIGURE...
- FIX: PCMCIA Modem Disappears After Suspend/Resume Cycle
Under certain circumstances, a PCMCIA modem may disappear from the dial-up device list in a Windows CE installation after a suspend/resume cycle.
- FIX: Memory Leaks When You Mount or Unmount FATFS Volumes
When you mount and unmount FAT File System (FATFS) volumes, you may notice a memory leak in the Filesys.exe process. For example, this may occur when you insert and remove Advanced Technology Attachment (ATA) Flash Personal Computer Memory Card...
- Err Msg: Your System Is Missing the Required Setup Engine
When you attempt to install the Microsoft Reference Troubleshooters from one of the products listed earlier in this article, you may receive the following error message:
- WD2001: What's New in Word 2001 for Mac
This article describes some of the new features in Microsoft Word 2001 for Mac. This article has the following sections: What's new with creating documents? What's new with automating your tasks? What's new with editing tools? What's new with proofing...
- Fragmented IGMP Packet May Promote "Denial of Service" Attack
When a computer running Windows 95 or Windows 98 receives a fragmented Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) packet, the computer's performance may degrade or the computer may stop responding (hang) and require a reboot to restore functionality....
- Reference Suite 99: Names and Locations of the Network Administrator's Guides
This article lists the name of the Network Administrator's Guide file and the folder in which it is located on the program CD-ROM or DVD-ROM for each of the programs listed at the beginning of this article.
- Availability of the Microsoft Libraries Update
This article describes the availability of the Microsoft Libraries Update. The Microsoft Libraries Update resolves an issue that can cause some third-party software to behave unexpectedly after the installation of Microsoft Works Suite 99,...
- INFO: TLS Considerations for Device Drivers
A device driver implementation must take into account whether its thread of execution is owned by a calling process (application) or its own process. Those that are owned by a calling process must not make system calls that will potentially access...
- INFO: Registry Active Key and Device Driver Numbering
Each time that a device driver is loaded, a numerical value under a key in the registry called Active appears. Each time that a new driver is loaded, this number is incremented. The driver number is incremented until the next time that the system is...
- Performance Problem for Nested Interrupts
IST starts are delayed because of being postponed until the next scheduling of an event. This symptom affects the ability to support real-time solutions. 3.070A supported software update is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE 3.0 Core OS...
- PEGTERM Program Hangs Shell When IrDA/GSM Connection Is Used
The Platform Builder 3.0 Pegterm.exe program may cause the target device shell to stop responding (hang). The problem occurs when you use a GSM phone modem that is connected through IrCOMM/IrDA to establish a PEGTERM session. 3.069A supported...
- Build Environment Becomes Damaged After Several Builds
After a full build of a platform with subprojects, you may see garbage characters in the environment variables. This problem may be caused by a missing null terminator on an uninitialized string variable in a component that is used to build the...
- A Headless WCELoad Update Is Available
On a Windows CE 3.0 platform that does not have graphical user interface (GUI) capability, the WCELoad component causes a platform build not to succeed. The WCELoad utility depends on GUI components. 3.0Q317803A supported software update is now...
- PRB: Windows CE Debug Build Reports Several InitObj Errors
When a debug build of the Microsoft Windows CE operating system initializes, numerous error messages, such as the following, are reported in the debug output from the Windows CE device:
- An Interrupt Event That Is Returned from a Non-Maskable Interrupt Service Routine on an SH3 or SH4 Processor May Be Missed
If the OEM adaptation layer (OAL) OEMNMI function has been implemented by an OEM to return an interrupt ID (a SYSINTR value), the interrupt service thread (IST) may not be signaled. The frequency with which this problem occurs depends on the...
- PRB: MAKEIMG 2.12, 3.0 Fails on Some Non-US Builds on Windows NT 4.0
Use of Platform Builder 2.12 or 3.0 to build the Microsoft Windows CE operating system on Windows NT 4.0 with the COUNTRY environment variable set to "Japan", "Korea", or "China" causes MAKEIMG to fail. The NK.fin file is not generated in the release...
- An ASSERT Error Occurs in Oledisp1.cpp When You Use VT_UI2 and VT_UI4 Variant Types
When you use either the VT_UI2 variant type or the VT_UI4 variant type in a method for a Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC) ActiveX control, you may experience the following symptoms: You receive an ASSERT error in Oledisp1.cpp. A memory leak...
- FIX: Memory usage by an application that uses Vbscript.dll grows when an external COM object returns an error code in Windows CE 3.0
Updates Windows CE 3.0 to fix a problem where a memory leak occurs when an application uses the Vbscript.dll component when an external COM object returns an error code.
- How To Automatically Launch REPLLOG Using the Notification Subsystem
To automatically launch Repllog.exe when a serial cable gets connected to the target device you must perform the following: Register an event in the system events database DB_notify_events. From your serial device driver, call the CeEventHasOccurred...
- Computer Stops Responding When You Start the Program
When you try to start one of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, the program may stop responding (hang) at the opening screen. This issue occurs if any of the following conditions exist: The computer has mismatched or outdated...
- PPP/IRCOMM Connection Hangs in Opening Port Stage
If you cancel a Point to Point Protocol over Infrared (PPP/IR) connection, and immediately start another connection before the first one closes, the attempt to create the new connection may stop responding (hang) in the "Opening Port" stage. This...
- BUG: Unable To Change Icon Desktop Positions
Setting the icon positions in the Wceshellxx.db files for a configuration using the Handheld PC (H/PC) style shell does not change the placement of icons on the desktop. Any databases that are defined following the first one in the Wceshellxx.db files...
- SAMPLE: How to Use Active Template Library to Host the Windows CE Multimedia Player Control
The Atlwmpapp.exe sample, which this article provides a Microsoft Download Center link to, demonstrates how to use Active Template Library (ATL) to host the Windows CE Multimedia Player control. This is another method for hosting the control, in...
- Searching a CEDB Database with More Than 16,000 Text Records May Hang Target Device
If you search a CEDB database that contains more then 16,000 text records, the CeSeekDatabase function may not return and the target device may seem to stop responding (hang). This behavior is caused by a known problem in the Windows CE 3.0...
- DOC: DYNALINK Is Not A Valid TARGETTYPE Option
The TARTGETTYPE option in the sources file determines whether an executable, library, or dynamic link library (DLL) file is built. Platform Builder Help states that the keyword "DYNALINK" causes a DLL to be built when this is specified in the...
- Memory Leak in Pocket Internet Explorer
Pocket Internet Explorer leaks about 140 bytes of memory every time it renders an HTML form. 3.0Q315028A supported software update is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE 3.0 Core OS QFE Q315028. To resolve this problem immediately, click...
- INFO: Only Hitachi D9000 (ODO) and CEPC Platforms Support All CE Configurations
This article describes the platforms that support all of the Windows CE configurations.
- Problems When You Add a Node That Contains a Slash Mark (/)
When you add a binary node to an MSXML DOM document, a failure may occur if the node contains a slash mark (/) character. Data that must be encoded as a slash mark (/) is encoded as an asterisk (*). The base64 character set is defined as:...
- NDIS Stops Responding to the Miniport Driver After Suspend
Device Manager may stop responding (hang) if a network adapter driver is removed in the middle of a packet transmit or receive. This situation may occur if you suspend and resume the computer. If the network adapter driver is in the middle of...
- How to Obtain Window CE Platform Builder QFEs
The latest QFEs for Windows CE Platform Builder versions 2.11, 2.12 and 3.0 are available from the Microsoft Download Center. These QFEs include QFEs that have been released since the last release of MSDN.
- Cannot See More Than One Character in Pocket Word Font Size Box
The Pocket Word font size box may only be big enough for one character, and this may cause confusion when you try to adjust the font size in a document. A supported fix is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE Core OS QFE . To resolve this...
- Repllog.exe Keeps the COM Port Open for 40 Seconds
After you disconnect the serial cable from a recently established partnership, you cannot reconnect the cable and make any other connections with the desktop computer for approximately 40 seconds. When you establish a partnership with a Windows...
- The Windows CE device may stop responding when you run multiple instances of Peghelp.exe
If you run multiple instances of the Help program (Peghelp.exe) at the same time, the Microsoft Windows CE device may stop responding. The kernel debugger shows that a stack fault exception occurs during the operations. Hotfix information...
- BUG: Cannot Update CPU Database During Combination Plug-In Installation
When you try to install the Windows CE Platform Builder 3.0 Combination Plug-In for SH3-DSP, SH4T, and MIPS IV processors, you may receive the following error message at the end of the installation:
- Interrupt Service Thread May Not Be Signaled
An interrupt service thread event may not be signaled after the interrupt service routine (ISR) reports an occurrence of the interrupt. This may result in a single interrupt being missed or all later interrupts being masked, depending on the...
- The gethostbyname function does not return all existing interfaces
If a Remote Access Service (RAS) connection is physically dropped (loses carrier) approximately 16 times before a warm boot, the gethostbyname function will only return the address of the local loopback interface (127.0.0.1) for subsequent...
- FIX: Windows Explorer stops responding when Internet Explorer is missing from the platform
Fixes a problem that occurs if the Internet broswer component is not on the platform. If you type a URL address in the Windows Explorer address bar, Windows Explorer tries to handle the address and opens many windows until all memory is used.
- The Hide Menu Bar button may not work as expected in Windows Media Player 10
Describes an issue where the Hide Menu Bar button does not work as expected in Windows Media Player 10. Workaround is provided.
- Mac Multimedia: Configuring HTTP Helper Application
When you try to perform an operation in one of the programs listed at the top of this article that involves using the Internet, nothing happens (the button depresses and releases), or you receive an error message similar to the following:
- Troubleshooting: How to Change to 640 x 480 x 256 Colors
If you are experiencing display problems with a program, it is often helpful to test the program with your display settings at 640 x 480 x 256 colors. Many programs are optimized for this resolution and color depth. In addition, many video drivers work...
- PRB: Serial MDD Driver Does Not Properly Close Port When Process Quits Unexpectedly
When a process that opens a serial port from a secondary thread quits unexpectedly, the serial MDD driver does not properly close the port. As a result, you cannot use the serial port again until you restart the computer. This behavior can occur if you...
- SLIP Does Not Indicate When a Line Is Disconnected
If a Microsoft Windows CE-based client connects to a server by using Serial Line Internet Protocol (SLIP) and then loses the connection because of a physical disconnect, the client does not indicate the disconnect. For example, the Remote...
- The Microsoft Class Server Troubleshooting Guide
This article contains information from the Microsoft Class Server Troubleshooting Guide. It provides administrators with information and instructions about how to troubleshoot issues with Class Server. This article is divided into the following...
- GetDiskFreeSpaceEx() returns incorrect values for FAT32 disk
If a disk is formatted as FAT32 on an operating system other than Microsoft Windows CE, and if you then install the disk on a device, the GetDiskFreeSpaceEx function will sometimes return incorrect values for free disk space. Hotfix Information...
- PRB: Erratic FATFS File System Behavior If Wrong Length Returned For DISK_IOCTL_GETNAME
When you are using a block driver, such as a modified version of the ATADISK driver that is provided in Platform Builder 3.0, you may experience erratic file system behavior if the block driver improperly implements DISK_IOCTL_GETNAME to set a custom...
- How To Configure Windows CE for Use With DMA Devices
This article provides procedures for users of Platform Builder who want to communicate with a device through direct memory access (DMA). The topics covered include RESERVED keyword and contiguous memory, use of VirtualAlloc and VirtualCopy to map the...
- INFO: MIPS Platforms Require Two Pages at Beginning of RAM
On MIPS platforms, two physical pages at the beginning of the RAM address space must be reserved for implicit use by the Windows CE kernel.
- Temporary MFC objects may not be deleted in Windows CE Platform Builder
Explains that Windows CE Platform Builder applications that use MFC may leak memory when the applications use CDC and CDLG.
- Bookshelf 99: Cannot Search for Bookshelf Content from the Start Menu
When you upgrade from Microsoft Bookshelf 98 to Bookshelf 99, you can no longer search for Bookshelf content directly from the Start menu.
- Works Suite 2000: How to Install Individual Programs Included in Works Suite 2000
This article describes how to install individual programs included in Microsoft Works Suite 2000 without using the Works Suite 2000 Installation Wizard. This information is useful if you want to install only specific programs or if you encounter...
- Windows CE 3.0 Client Cannot Receive IP Configuration Information from a DHCP Server
A Windows CE 3.0 client may not receive its IP configuration information from a DHCP server. This symptom may occur when the DHCPOFFER packet that is received from the DHCP server does not specify a subnet mask. This may occur although the next...
- PRB: MaxDX-Based Platform Uses a Different Version of IESample.exe
After you install the Add-On Pack for Windows CE Platform Builder 3.0, an additional version of the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser (IESample.exe) is installed.
- BUG: ATLCOM.h Incorrectly Implements IDispEventSimplImpl Parameter Types
When you are running an application on Windows CE 3.0 that uses Active Template Library (ATL) to sink events from a COM object, it may present an exception when the event occurs. In some cases the symptom may not be an exception but rather data...
- INFO: Platform Builder 3.0 Documentation of Sources.cmn and Sources.gen
This article describes Sources.gen and Sources.cmn and the use of these files for Platform Builder 3.0.
- Fragmented IP Packets Are Not Forwarded Properly If Routing Is Enabled in Windows CE
When Windows CE is configured as a router, fragmented IP packets are not forwarded. The last fragmented packet incorrectly sets the More Fragments flag. Therefore, the destination network does not receive the packet. Platform Builder 3.0 service...
- Delays May Occur from Running an ISR to Running an IST
Platforms that use the Hitachi SuperH family of processors may experience long delays in running an interrupt service thread (IST) after running an interrupt service routine (ISR). The exact cause of this problem is not yet understood. If...
- CeWriteRecordProps Does Not Work on Mounted Database Volume
When you try to add records after you mount two or more database volumes at the same time, you may receive a disk full error message. This may occur even if enough free disk space is available. Database volume compaction and growth is handled by a...
- Tapi.dll Causes Access Violation in Windows CE 3.0
Under certain conditions, an access violation may occur in Tapi.dll in the GetCallIDs function. Windows CE service packA supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this...
- Cannot Set the IP_MULTICAST_IF Option
If you call the setsockopt function with the IP_MULTICAST_IF option and a valid IN_ADDR value, a WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL (10049) error is returned. The option incorrectly expects a SOCKADDR_IN structure as input instead of IN_ADDR. 3.0Q316852A supported...
- PC Card Modems Do Not Appear After Suspend and Resume
A PC Card modem may not be available for use with the Remote Networking feature after you suspend and resume a Windows CE-based device. WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to...
- Overview of the SQL 2000 Critical Update Wizard
Microsoft has released the SQL Critical Update Wizard to help to protect users who may be vulnerable to the Slammer worm. For more information about how to help to protect yourself against the Slammer worm, visit the following Microsoft Web site: This...
- PPP/PPTP Connection May Lose Network Connection Under Heavy Load
Running stress tests over PPTP results in "Loss of network connection" error messages. After a PPTP connection is made, ping times increase to over two seconds, and then eventually time out. A lack of synchronized access to global variables that...
- Research Organizer: Error Message When Moving Cards/Sections
When you use the Research Organizer, you may receive the following error message: If you click the Details button, you see the following message: ORG98 caused an invalid page fault in module COMCTL32.DLL If you receive this message, any information you...
- BUG: Unexpected Exceptions Occur in Wave Device Drivers
Exceptions or erratic behavior may occur in wave device drivers.
- SAMPLE: Windows CE Local/DCOM Server with OLE Automation Support
Ceoasupp.exe is a sample code file that demonstrates the following principles by using Microsoft Windows CE 3.0 Platform Builder based devices: Windows CE Local Server Implementation Windows CE Remote Server Implementation Marshaling of OLE Automation...
- INFO: Pocket PC and the HTTPD Web Server Included in Platform Builder 3.0
At the time of this writing (July 20, 2001), currently shipping Pocket PC 3.0 devices do not support the HTTPD Web server that is included in Platform Builder 3.0.
- An Exception Occurs When Receiving an ICMP Packet on PPP
An exception in Ipnat occurs if an ICMP packet is received over a PPP connection. This occurs only on devices with RICS processors that include the Ipnat component. The problem occurs because IPNAT dereferences a USHORT pointer directly from the...
- Allowing Arbitrary HTTP Verbs in Requests to an HTTP Server for Windows CE
You may receive error 400 ("bad request error") when you attempt to gain access to an HTTP server for Microsoft Windows CE. The HTTP 1.0 and HTTP 1.1 specifications allow for an arbirtary HTTP request verb. The HTTP server for Windows CE that is...
- A Connection Attempt from Windows CE Times Out Too Soon
If you try to connect from a Windows CE-based device that was built with Windows CE Platform Builder 3.0 to Microsoft ActiveSync on a desktop PC, the connection attempt may time out in less than half the expected time. This behavior is caused by...
- Modem Does Not Disconnect Successfully if You Try to Disconnect While it Is Dialing or Making the Connection
If you try to hang up while your modem is dialing or while your connection is still being set up, your modem may not disconnect successfully. A supported fix is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE Core OS QFE . To resolve this problem...
- ICS Host Stops Forwarding Packets After DHCP Lease Is Half Expired
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Network Address Translation (NAT) functionality stops working after 50 percent of the public network DHCP lease has expired. When this occurs, each network adapter on the NAT host can ping hosts on its...
- Internet Explorer Control Leaks Memory in Windows CE 3.0
A program that hosts the Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows CE browser control may experience a memory leak when you visit a new page. 3.016A supported software update is now available from Microsoft as Windows CE 3.0 Core OS QFE 16. To...
- Heap Corruption May Occur in MFC DLLs That Use the Shared MFC DLL
Occasional heap corruption may occur in programs that load a DLL by using the shared Microsoft Foundation Class (MFC) DLL. The heap corruption causes the second DWORD of an allocation to be set to 0 (zero). This is a problem in the shared MFC...
- "lineOpen" TAPI LINEMAPPER Search Terminates Prematurely
The WinCE Telephony API (TAPI) "lineOpen" communication function may not work, and it may return LINEERR_INVALMEDIAMODE or LINEERR_INVALCALLPARAMS. This situation can occur if the function is called with the dwDeviceID parameter set to LINEMAPPER....
- MS Works Templates
Microsoft Office?s kid brother Microsoft Works is jam packed with fun and functional templates ? we show you how to find and use them, and how to create your own Microsoft Works 6.0 is a productivity suite consisting of a basic word processor,...
- How to obtain the latest Windows Vista application compatibility update
Describes how to obtain the latest Windows Vista application compatibility update. Also describes the applications that are included in this latest update. Also explains how to troubleshoot application compatibility issues in Windows Vista.
- GW 2.0 Err Msg: Something Is Missing
When you start Greetings Workshop, or while you are creating a card, you may receive one of the following error messages: You may also receive a message that instructs you to reinstall Greetings Workshop.
- Font Related Issues in Multimedia Products
When you use one of the programs listed at the beginning of this article, you may experience any of the following symptoms: Fonts may not be displayed in the program. Fonts may be displayed as symbols in the program. Fonts may be distorted in the...
- World Atlas 97: Unable to Annotate Pushpin with Long Note
In World Atlas, you cannot attach a long note to a Pushpin. The only available options for annotating Pushpins are Name Only and Balloon For Short Note.
- Display Problems Playing Video Clips in Windows
When you play a video clip, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms: The system may stop responding (hang). The video may flash. Distortion is observed in the video playback area. The video may just show a blank window, a white window,...
- Multimedia: Does Not Dial AOL's Phone Number
When you click one of the Online buttons in your multimedia program, your modem attempts to dial a phone number that you did not intend to dial instead of dialing the access number you use to connect to MSN. This phone number may be the number of an...
- Can't Create Pushpin with Insufficient Disk Space
When you try to create a Pushpin for a specific location on a map, the Pushpin does not appear on the map, or is not listed in the desired Pushpin set.
- Wireless Wheel Mouse: Minimum System Requirements
This article summarizes the minimum system requirements for the Microsoft Wireless Wheel Mouse.
- Scratchy Sound, Erratic Sound, or Sound Stops
When you use any of the programs listed earlier in this article, you may experience any of the following symptoms: The computer stops responding (hangs) when you start the program. Sound playback in the program is scratchy or distorted. Sound playback...
Related Community Newsgroups