English Spelling Dictionary Contains US and UK Spellings

Article translations Article translations
Article ID: 118507 - View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q118507
The English Language Dictionary supplied with Word contains both the U.S. English and British English dictionaries. In other words, you can check both English (U.S.) and English (U.K.) spelling using the same dictionary.

To check the U.S. or British English spelling of a word, you must format that word for the appropriate language. (To apply language formatting, choose Language from the Tools menu.) When you run the spelling checker, it checks the (U.K.) English or (U.S.) English spelling, based on the language formatting.

For example, if your document contains the word "colour," Word flags it as misspelled if it is formatted as (U.S.) English, but Word considers it to be spelled correctly if it is formatted as (U.K.) English.
Expand all | Collapse all


Article ID: 118507 - Last Review: August 16, 2005 - Revision: 1.1
  • Microsoft Word 6.0 Standard Edition
  • Microsoft Word 6.0a
  • Microsoft Word 6.0c
  • Microsoft Word 6.0 for Macintosh
  • Microsoft Word 6.01 for Macintosh
  • Microsoft Word 6.01 for Macintosh
  • Microsoft Word 95 Standard Edition
  • Microsoft Word 95a
kbinfo kbproof KB118507
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.

Give Feedback


Contact us for more help

Contact us for more help
Connect with Answer Desk for expert help.
Get more support from smallbusiness.support.microsoft.com