This article discusses how to modify the Config.sys file in Windows 95.
Modifying the Config.sys File
- Click the Start button, then click Run.
- In the Run dialog box, type the following and click OK:
This opens the System Configuration Editor.
- On the Window menu in System Configuration Editor, click C:\Config.sys
(where C:\ is the bootable drive). This brings the text in the
Config.sys file to the front.
- Make the necessary changes in Config.sys.
- On the File menu, click Exit. If you want to save the changes you made,
- Click the Start button and then click Shutdown. Click Restart The
NOTE: When changes are made to the file, Sysedit.exe creates a backup of
the original file with an .syd extension. If you need to restore the
original Config.sys file, rename C:\Config.syd to C:\Config.sys, then
shutdown and restart Windows.
Article ID: 130517 - Last Review: November 15, 2006 - Revision: 1.1
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.