When you install Windows NT on an Enhanced IDE (EIDE) hard disk, you may
receive one of the following error messages:
STOP: 0x0000007B Inaccessible Boot Device
Setup has encountered a fatal error that prevents it from continuing.
Contact your software representative for help.
The following status codes will assist them "0x4, 0, 0, 0"
This behavior can occur if any of the following conditions exist:
- Your computer is infected with a virus.
- There is a problem in the Atapi.sys driver.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Run anti-virus software to check for and to remove any virus.
- If your computer is not infected with a virus, obtain and install the
latest Windows NT 3.51 Service Pack.
To successfully install Windows NT 3.51, you must replace the Atapi.sys
file on the Windows NT CD-ROM with the expanded version of Atapi.sy_
(still compressed) available with the latest Windows NT 3.51 Service Pack:
- Insert the Windows NT 3.51 CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive.
- Copy the Windows NT 3.51 source files from the Windows NT CD-ROM to a
temporary directory on your hard disk. For example, create a directory
named NTFLAT, and then copy the source files to the NTFLAT directory.
- Insert the Service Pack CD-ROM in your CD-ROM drive.
PKUNZIP the Windows NT v3.51 service pack in a temporary directory. To
do so, type the following command at a command prompt:
Pkunzip -d NT_SERVICE_PACK_NAME.ZIP c:\sptemp
- Copy the ATAPI.SYS from the expanded service pack directory to the
C:\NTFLAT installation directory or type the following command to
expand the compressed Atapi.sys file on the service pack CD-ROM to the
expand <compact_disc_drive>:\i386\atapi.sy_ c:\ntflat\atapi.sys
- Install Windows NT 3.51 from the temporary directory by typing the
following command at a command prompt:
- After you finish installing Windows NT V3.51, install the complete
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 3.51.
This problem has been corrected in the latest U.S. Service Pack for
Windows NT version 3.51. For information on obtaining the Service Pack,
query on the following word in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (without the
S E R V P A C K
Additional query words: 3.51 0x04
Article ID: 134285 - Last Review: October 31, 2006 - Revision: 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51