When you attempt to edit an Organization Chart object in a PowerPoint
presentation, you may receive the following error:
The server application, source file, or item cannot be found.
Make sure the application is properly installed, and that it
has not been deleted, moved, or renamed.
This error occurs under any of the following conditions:
- The presentation was created in PowerPoint 7.0, and you are
editing it in PowerPoint 4.0.
- You installed PowerPoint 7.0 over PowerPoint 4.0 and selected a
Typical installation, or the default Custom installation, without
selecting Organization Chart 2.0, which leaves Organization Chart 1.0
If you try to re-register Microsoft Organization Chart, you still
get the error.
There are two possible causes for this problem:
- PowerPoint 7.0 uses Organization Chart 2.0 to create organization
charts. Saving a PowerPoint 7.0 presentation as a PowerPoint 4.0
presentation does not convert Organization Chart 2.0 objects to
Organization Chart 1.0 objects.
If you try to edit this object on a computer that does not have
Organization Chart 2.0 installed, you receive the error message.
- PowerPoint 7.0 uses Organization Chart 2.0 and only Organization
Chart 1.0 is on your computer, so when PowerPoint tries to
access Organization Chart it can not find Organization Chart 2.0.
NOTE: This problem does not occur with Microsoft Graph objects because
the 32-bit version of Graph 5.0 that comes with PowerPoint 7.0 is compatible
with the 16-bit version of Graph 5.0 that comes with PowerPoint 4.0.
The only way to edit this Organization Chart object is to open the
presentation on a computer that has Organization Chart 2.0 installed.
To add Organization Chart 2.0 if you are running PowerPoint 7.0, run setup
in Maintenance Mode, click Add/Remove, and add Organization Chart 2.0.
NOTE: The following workaround assumes that Organization Chart 2.0 is not
installed on the computer where you installed PowerPoint 4.0
To work around this problem, save the file from Organization Chart 2.0. To do
this, follow these steps:
- Create an Organization Chart in Organization Chart 2.0.
- On the File menu, click Save Copy As.
- From the Save As Type list, select Organization Chart (OPX).
- Click Save.
Insert this file into Microsoft PowerPoint 4.0 using the following steps:
- Start PowerPoint 4.0.
- On the File menu, click Object.
- Click to select the Create From File option.
- Click Browse, locate and select the .opx file, and click OK.
- Click OK.
The Organization Chart object is inserted on the slide in Organization
Chart 1.0 format.
NOTE: If you open and save this file on a computer where you installed
Organization Chart 2.0, you will no longer be able to edit the chart in
Article ID: 135261 - Last Review: August 16, 2005 - Revision: 2.1
- Microsoft PowerPoint 95 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 4.0 Standard Edition
|kberrmsg kbinterop kbprb kbualink97 KB135261|Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.