When you start the Microsoft Office 97 Setup program, you receive the
following error message:
Can't run 16-bit Windows program
Cannot find file \\Server\ShareName\setup.exe (or one of its
components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and
that all required libraries are available.
This will occur if both of the following conditions are true:
- You are running Microsoft Office 97 Setup on a computer running
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0.
- The name of the share on the server contains a space. For example:
To avoid this problem, use either of the following workarounds:
- Don't include a space in the name of the share on the server. For
example, if the share is named "Office 97" (without quotation marks),
rename it "Office97". The Setup program should then run correctly.
- Map a drive letter for the share and then run Setup.
- Double-click My Computer.
- On the toolbar, click Map Network Drive.
- In the Drive list box, select the drive letter you want to use. In
the Path edit box, type the path to the server and share. For
If you are required to, enter your username in the Connect As box,
then click OK.
A new window will appear, showing the contents of the share. The
caption of the window will be the letter of the drive you mapped
(for example, F:)
- On the Start menu, click Run.
- In the Open edit box, type the path to the Setup program, but use
the drive letter (F:, for example) rather than the Universal Naming
Convention path (\\MyServer\My Share, for example). Click OK.
Or locate the Setup program in Windows Explorer, and double-click
The Setup program should now run correctly.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products
listed at the beginning of this article. We are researching this problem
and will post new information here in the Microsoft Knowledge Base as it
This problem does not occur when you run Office 97 Setup on Windows 95.
Article ID: 157022 - Last Review: February 24, 2014 - Revision: 2.0
- Microsoft Office 97 Standard Edition, when used with:
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbsetup kbprb kbfaq KB157022|