When you click Picture on the Insert menu, you may notice the following
- Clip art is missing as a menu selection.
- Selecting Clipart brings up an empty Clipart Gallery.
- Clip art pictures are not available from the Microsoft Office\Clipart
folder. Note that there will be a shortcut in the Clipart folder to
access the clip art files from the CD-ROM.
When you install Office or Word, you have a choice of the type of
installation you want to use: Typical, Custom, or Run from CD-ROM. If you
choose Run from CD-ROM or if you choose Custom and clear the Clipart or
Popular Clipart check boxes, you will encounter one of the symptoms listed
at the beginning of this article.
To resolve this problem, use the following steps.
To install Popular Clipart and Clipart Gallery
- Quit Word and Office.
- Click the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click the Install/Uninstall tab.
- In the list of installed software, select either Microsoft Word 97 or
Microsoft Office 97. Then, click Add/Remove.
The Setup program will be started.
- From the Setup screen, click Add/Remove.
- Select Office Tools (do not clear the check box if it contains a check
mark), and then click the Change Option button.
- Select Popular Clipart or Clipart Gallery, and then click OK.
- Click Continue.
Follow the instructions to complete the steps in the Setup program.
To install Microsoft Clipart Extra
Use the following steps if you want to install the additional clip art
files to your local hard disk drive. This procedure adds up to 180
megabytes (MB) of additional clip art files to your drive. These clip art
files are available from the shortcut Clipart on the Office CD available in
the Clipart directory. The shortcut makes the clip art files available to
you, but it does not install the clip art files to your hard disk drive.
Method 1: Use the Control Panel to Run Clipart Setup
- Quit Word or Office.
- Click the Start button, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- From Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Click the Install/Uninstall tab, and then click Install.
- Follow the instructions in the Install Program wizard and click Next.
The Install Program should search for the drive containing the Setup
program. Click Browse.
- Change the Look In to the appropriate drive, if needed (for example,
D:). Then change to the Clipart folder. Double-click Setup (Setup.exe).
NOTE: The Office97 CD contains a special Setup program designed to ease the
process of adding all of the extra clip art available on the Office97 CD.
The following instructions pertain to the Microsoft Clipart Extra Setup
program. You will also need up to 180 MB of additional disk space to
install all of the extra clipart and multimedia files.
Method 2: Run Clipart Setup Directly from the CD
- Quit Word and Office.
- Insert the Office 97 CD in the disc drive.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type
where <drive> is the letter for your CD drive.
- To install all clip art, click Custom, and then follow the instructions
in the Setup program.
For more information about which components are installed during each type
of setup, see Word Help:
- On the Help menu, click Contents And Index, and click the Contents tab.
- Double-click the "Installing and removing Word" topic.
- Double-click the "Install or remove individual components" topic.
- In the "Install or remove individual components" topic, under step 5,
click the arrow by the line that states: "For the location of
components in Setup..."
Article ID: 157991 - Last Review: January 19, 2007 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Word 97 Standard Edition
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.