In Microsoft Excel, if you have multiple sheets selected (you are in Group
Edit mode) and you click a sheet tab, all sheets except the sheet whose
tab you clicked are deselected.
This will occur if both of the following conditions are true:
- All sheets are selected.
- You select a sheet other than the active sheet.
This behavior is by design of Microsoft Excel.
You can quickly reselect all visible sheets by using the following steps:
Microsoft Excel for Windows
- Right-click any sheet tab.
- On the shortcut menu, click Select All Sheets.
Microsoft Excel for the Macintosh
- Press and hold the CONTROL key.
- Click any sheet tab and click Select All Sheets on the shortcut
In Microsoft Excel, you can select and make changes to multiple sheets
simultaneously. This is called "Group Edit" mode. To select multiple
- If you want to select a contiguous block of sheets, select the first
sheet in the group. Then press and hold the SHIFT key and click the
tab for the last sheet. When you are done, release the SHIFT key.
- If you want to select a non-contiguous block of sheets, select the
first sheet. Then, press and hold the CTRL key then click the tab
of each sheet you want selected. When you are done, release the
NOTE: On the Macintosh use the COMMAND key as you select the
You can exit Group Edit mode by performing any of the following actions:
- Click the tab of a sheet that is not currently selected.
- Right-click (CONTROL+click on the Macintosh) the tab of any sheet and
click Ungroup Sheets on the shortcut menu.
- If ALL sheets are selected, click the tab on any sheet (except the
active sheet) to deselect all other sheets.
Normally, when you click the tab of a selected sheet, the group of selected
sheets remains selected. The exception occurs when all sheets are selected.
If you click a sheet's tab and all your visible sheets are deselected, use
the workaround shown earlier in this article to reselect all the sheets.
Article ID: 158063 - Last Review: August 15, 2003 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 95a
- Microsoft Excel 5.0c
- Microsoft Excel 98 for Macintosh
|kbprb kbualink97 KB158063|Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.