This article describes how to use your MSN, The Microsoft Network, account
as your Internet service provider (ISP) with Windows CE and Microsoft
Pocket Internet Explorer.
: To use this method, you must have an existing MSN account. To create an MSN account, you must either run MSN Setup on a computer running
Microsoft Windows, or call MSN Support.
To use MSN as your ISP, you must have the following information:
- Your user name (Member ID) and password for your MSN account.
- Your local MSN phone (or access) number.
Once you have obtained this information, follow these steps:
- Tap the Start button, tap Programs, double-tap the Communications folder, and then double-tap Remote Networking.
- Double-tap Make New Connection.
- Type a name for your MSN connection, tap Dial-Up Connection to select
it, and then tap Next.
- In the Telephone Number box, type your local MSN access number, and then tap Finish.
- Double-tap the icon for your new MSN Connection.
- In the User box, type MSN/<your MSN user name>, where <your MSN user name> is your MSN Member ID.
NOTE: "MSN" must be entered in all uppercase letters.
- In the Password box, type your MSN account password.
- Leave the Domain box empty.
- Click Connect.
Although you can use MSN as your ISP, you cannot receive MSN mail
using the Windows CE Inbox. Windows CE version 2.0 can send e-mail messages
when you use a Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP) e-mail server. Windows
CE cannot receive e-mail messages because MSN requires Secure Password
Authentication (SPA) and Windows CE uses clear text passwords. In addition, you cannot view MSN content using Windows CE or Pocket
: There is a new 'MSN E-mail for Pocket PC' that gives the new PocketPC devices Secure Password Authentication capabilities. It does not have backward compatibility to WinCE 2.x devices. For more information, click the following link:
Article ID: 161447 - Last Review: February 24, 2014 - Revision: 2.2
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.0 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.1 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.11 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 2.12 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 3.0 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 3.01 for the Handheld PC
- Microsoft Windows CE 3.0 for the Handheld PC Professional Edition
|kbnosurvey kbarchive kbfaq kbhowto KB161447|