This article summarizes the steps that are necessary to rename the Microsoft
Exchange Service Account.
For more information about how to change the Service Account, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to change the Service Account
To rename the Service Account, follow these steps:
- Start the Windows NT User Manager for Domains.
- Select the current service account and rename it. To do this, click Rename on the User menu, and then type the new service account name.
- In Control Panel, double-click Services.
Select each Microsoft Exchange Service:
- Click Startup.
- In the Service dialog box, select the This Account option, and then click the ellipsis button (...). The ellipsis button is the button to the left of the account name space.
- Select the renamed service account.
- Type and confirm the password.
At this point, the Service Account change is updated in the registry.
Article ID: 167643 - Last Review: March 6, 2007 - Revision: 3.4
- Microsoft Exchange Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 Standard Edition
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.