When you map a network drive to a remote share and view the properties of
a file or folder in that share, the Security tab may be missing.
This behavior can occur if the shared folder has a long file name and does
not conform to the 8.3 naming format.
Use one of the following workarounds to resolve this issue:
- Use a Universal Naming Convention (UNC) connection to connect to the
share instead of mapping a drive letter. UNC connections use the
following format: \\<servername>\<sharename>, where <servername> is
the name of the server to which you want to connect and <sharename>
is the name of the share to which you want to connect.
- Use File Manager (Winfile.exe) instead of Windows NT Explorer.
- Rename the folder using the 8.3 naming format.
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Windows NT version 4.0.
Article ID: 177659 - Last Review: October 31, 2006 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition