Microsoft SQL Server Setup may appear to stop responding after copying the
files successfully. If this occurs, the hourglass just keeps going, with no
status change or message.
The most common cause for this is related to other services that are
running. These services may be using ODBC or other shared components that
prevent SQL Server Setup from using system resources.
To work around this problem, perform the following steps:
- Stop all services on the computer that may use ODBC.
Warning Before stopping any services, verify that stopping these
services will not disrupt other users.
These services include any of the following:
- All Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) services. This
includes all of the following:
- Certificate Authority
- Content Index
- FTP Publishing Service
- IIS Admin Service
- World Wide Web (WWW) Publishing
- Microsoft NNTP Service
- Microsoft SMTP Service
- Microsoft Message Queue Service (MMSQ)
- Microsoft Exchange Server
- ARCserve backup
- InocuLAN virus protection
- McAfee antivirus services
- UniCenter system monitoring
- If Setup was not manually stopped, it should resume and complete
successfully. If Setup had been stopped, rerun Setup; it should
- Occasionally, you may also need to stop additional services for SQL
Server Setup to complete successfully. In these cases, you may want to
stop any non-critical server services that were not installed with the
default installation of Windows NT.
For more information, click the following article number why Setup may stop responding to view the article why Setup may stop responding in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
SQL Server Setup may stop responding on a very fast drive
The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by vendors
independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise,
regarding these products' performance or reliability.
Article ID: 183692 - Last Review: December 28, 2005 - Revision: 4.3
- Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition