You may experience any of the following symptoms:
- You receive fatal exception error messages while Windows 95/98 Setup is copying files to your computer.
- You receive the following error message when you run Updat_cd.com from a Winstart.bat file:
Explorer.exe caused an invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll
- One or more drives use MS-DOS Compatibility mode.
- You are unable to run ScanDisk for Windows.
- Your CD-ROM drive cannot be found after Windows 95/98 Setup is
- Some programs, such as Corel Graphics, Microsoft Word, and other
Microsoft Office programs do not run properly, and you experience
unexpected behavior when running these programs.
These issues can occur if you are running a program that installs the
Updat_cd.com file. The Updat_cd.com file is incompatible with Windows 95
and Windows 98.
To resolve these issues, prevent the Updat_cd.com file from loading when
you start Windows. To do so, follow these steps:
- Restart your computer to a command prompt. For Windows 95, press F8 when
you see the "Starting Windows 95" message, and then choose Command
Prompt Only from the Startup menu.
For Windows 98, restart your computer, press and hold down the CTRL key
after your computer completes the Power On Self Test (POST), and then
choose Command Prompt Only from the Startup menu. For more information
about Windows 98 startup, see the following article in the Microsoft
TITLE : No "Starting Windows 98" Message at Startup
- At the command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER
after each command:
- Disable the following line in the Winstart.bat file by typing "rem"
(without quotation marks), and then pressing SPACEBAR at the beginning
of the line:
- Press ALT+F, press S (to save), press ALT+F, and then press X (to
- Restart your computer normally.
The Updat_cd.com file incorrectly hooks interrupt 21 in Windows 95/98. This
can prevent Windows 95/98 operations that require direct disk access from
The Updat_cd.com file is installed by earlier Corel programs and by the
following programs distributed by MicroStar:
- 200 Great Games for Windows
- 300 Great Games for Windows
- Casino Games Gold Edition
- Unearthed Arsenal (a Diablo add-on package)
The third-party products discussed in this article are manufactured by
vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.
Article ID: 186670 - Last Review: January 23, 2007 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Windows 95
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
|kbdiskmemory kbenv kberrmsg kbfaq kbfatalexerr0d kbfatalexerr0e kbhardware kbinvalidpagefault kbkern32dll kbprb kbsetup KB186670|