When plotting points with the Microsoft Chart control, the scale for the
value axis is scaled to represent only the range of numbers needed to
display the data points being charted. For example, if the data points you
are charting are between 1000 and 1010, the full range of 0 through 1010 is
not needed and may not be used.
At times it may be desirable or necessary to specify a custom range for the
value axis. Microsoft Chart offers properties that allow the user to
customize this setting. To set a custom range, three properties must be
set: Auto, Minimum, and Maximum. Below are the steps to create a sample
application that demonstrates how to configure the chart's scale
- Open a new Standard EXE project. Form1 is created by default.
- Choose Components from the Project menu, and add a reference to
"Microsoft Chart Control."
- Add a Chart control to Form1 (sample data is automatically supplied).
- Add a CommandButton to Form1.
- Paste the following code into Form1's code module:
Private Sub Command1_Click()
' Set chart type to 2d bar
Form1.MSChart1.chartType = VtChChartType2dBar
' Use manual scale to display y axis (value axis)
.Auto = False
.Minimum = -100
.Maximum = 100
- Run the sample project.
- Note that the range of the Y axis is 0 to 100.
- Click the CommandButton.
- Note that the range of the Y axis now reflects the -100 to 100 range
that was set programmatically.
Article ID: 189159 - Last Review: July 13, 2004 - Revision: 3.1
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Learning Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Enterprise Edition