When you run a query, you may receive the following error message when
memory is still available:
You may also receive the error message:
You have a newer version of the Microsoft Jet database engine than the one
originally installed by your Microsoft product. When you use Microsoft Data
Access Objects (DAO) code to get data from a Jet database, you may see this
problem if you are doing the following:
- Using code to loop through a recordset based on a linked table.
- Working with a QueryDef
The error has been reported to occur in the following languages: Visual
Basic and Visual C++ (using MFC), and with the DAO Software Development
Kit. This problem is related to the Jet database engine itself, not to DAO.
NOTE: You should first verify that you have not actually run out of memory
and that your Temp folder (directory) is set to a valid folder and is not
full. If neither of these conditions is true, you may be experiencing this
To resolve this problem, do one of the following:
- Obtain and install the Microsoft Office 97 Service Release 2. For more information about getting this Service Release, see the following
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
OFF97: How to Obtain and Install MS Office 97 SR-2
- Obtain Jet35sp3.exe from the Microsoft Web site; this file contains
the updated version 3.51 of the Microsoft Jet database engine. For
information on how to obtain Microsoft Jet 3.51, please see the
following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
ACC97: Updated Version of Microsoft Jet 3.5 Available for Download
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products
listed at the beginning of this article. This problem no longer occurs in
Microsoft Access 97 SR-2.
The following is a list of the Jet DLL versions and whether they show the
- 3.50.3428.0 Shipped with Access 97 and does not reproduce the problem
- 3.50.3602.4 Shipped with Visual Basic 5.0, and does not reproduce the
- 3.50.3907.5 Shipped with US Access SR-1, and does exhibit the problem.
- 3.51.0623.4 Updated version of Microsoft Jet database engine 3.5
formerly available for download and does exhibit the problem.
- 3.51.2010.0 Available as part of Office 97 SR-2. This version does not reproduce the problem.
- 3.51.2026.0 Available as part of Microsoft Data Access Components 2.0 SP2. This version does not reproduce the problem.
- 3.51.3328.0 Updated version of Microsoft Jet Database Engine 3.5 available in Download Center. This version does not reproduce the problem.
For further information about the different versions of the Jet database
engine, please refer to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge
INFO: Identifying the Jet Database Engine Components
Article ID: 191743 - Last Review: January 23, 2007 - Revision: 3.1
- Microsoft Access 97 Standard Edition
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.