You can install Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) on a Small Business Server (SBS) computer.
Before you decide to install RRAS, consider the following items:
- RRAS is not TAPI aware. To avoid interference with the functionality of other applications that use TAPI (such as the Fax service and the Modem Sharing service), any modems and devices configured for RRAS cannot be available for other services and vice versa.
- While configuring RRAS in Control Panel/ Network/ Services, add only the devices explicitly installed for use with RRAS.
- Any communication devices such as ISDN adapters, PPTP (VPNs), and any modems that need to be used with RRAS, should be on the Windows NT Hardware Compatibility List at a minimum, and ideally also on the SBS HCL.
- If you are using modems for RRAS, set them to use the COM ports with the lowest numbers, in consecutive order.
- The modems to be used for modem sharing and fax service should be on the SBS HCL for the two services to be able to use them. Select only the designated modems when you configure these services. Leave unchecked any that are designated for use with RRAS.
- It is necessary to stop and restart the Fax and Modem Sharing services after you change the list of available modems for those services.
- When you install RRAS on an SBS 4.5 computer, you must re-apply your current Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack after the installation is complete.
The RRAS installation changes protocol binding order as well. After the RRAS installation is complete, you must check your bindings as detailed in Knowledge Base article:
How to Properly Configure Network Binding Order on BackOffice Small Business Server System
For instructions on downloading and installing RRAS on Windows NT
Server, please refer to the Readme.txt file and the various document files in the Program Files\Routing\doc folder. This folder is the default location where files are extracted for installation by the self-extracting RRAS download file.
You can download RRAS from the following Microsoft Web sites:
Article ID: 192614 - Last Review: July 18, 2007 - Revision: 3.5
- Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server 4.0a
- Microsoft BackOffice Small Business Server 4.5