You can use the Microsoft Systems Management Server Installer to install a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in on target computers.
An MMC snap-in is actually a dynamic-link library (DLL) that extends the functionality of the MMC console. MMC DLLs must be installed and registered on computers on which the snap-ins will be used. The Systems Management Server Installer script item "Install MMC Snap-in" carries out the installation and registration process as a part of the package execution.
Steps to Install an MMC Snap-In
- Install and start Systems Management Server Installer.
- Create a new installation script.
- Click View, and then click Script Editor.
- Place the cursor in the section of code where files are being installed.
- In the left pane in the Action box, double-click Install MMC Snap-in.
- In the Source Pathname box, type the path and file name of the MMC DLL that you are distributing.
- In the Copy Description box, type text that will display as the file is being installed on the target computer.
- Click OK.Results: The MMC DLL will be compressed into a Systems Management Server self-extracting executable. When the executable is run on target computers, the MMC DLL will be placed in the %Systemroot%\System32 folder and then registered as an MMC DLL. The MMC snap-in will then be available on the target computer.
Refer to the Help menu item in Systems Management Server Installer for more information on the Install MMC Snap-in script action.
Article ID: 212919 - Last Review: February 25, 2007 - Revision: 4.4
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003
- Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0 Standard Edition