When Microsoft Office Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 is installed, you can use Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 or Microsoft Outlook 2010 to access and to manage a Windows Live Hotmail account or a Microsoft Office Live Mail account.
For information about how to obtain Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0, visit the following Microsoft Download Center website: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx
This article answers some frequently asked questions about Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0.
- Outlook Hotmail Connector does not synchronize unless I click Send/Receive in Outlook 2003. Is that expected?
Yes. This behavior is expected. Outlook 2003 does not send and receive email messages automatically like Outlook 2007 does. If you use Outlook 2003, click Send/Receive in order to force synchronization. Or, schedule an automatic send-and-receive process. To schedule an automatic send-and-receive process, point to Send/Receive on the Tools menu, point to Send/ReceiveSettings , and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
- What is the correct version for Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0?
The release version of Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 is 14.0.4760.1000. To verify the version of Outlook Hotmail Connector. follow these steps:
Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007
- Open Outlook.
- Locate the Outlook Hotmail Connector. Then, click About Outlook Hotmail Connector.
- The version is displayed in the About Outlook Hotmail Connector dialog box. If the version is equal or a later version than 14.0.4760.1000, then Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 is installed.
- Open Outlook.
- Locate the Outlook BackStage.
- Click Additional Information and then click About Outlook Hotmail Connector.
- The version is displayed in the About Outlook Hotmail Connector dialog box. If the If the version is equal or a later version than 14.0.4760.1000, then Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 is installed.
- Can I synchronize my default Outlook calendar to Windows Live Calendar once I install Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0?
Outlook Hotmail Connector only lets you to synchronize your Windows Live Calendar between Outlook and the Windows Live Calendar website. If you have a separate calendar in Outlook, Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 does not let you to synchronize it to Windows Live Calendar.
- Why can I not connect?
In addition to an Internet connection and an installed copy of Outlook, Outlook Hotmail Connector has one other requirement. Accounts must be updated to the new Windows Live Hotmail. To update your account, follow one of these procedures, and then try to connect by using Outlook Hotmail Connector:
- Visit the following Microsoft website, and then click Update your account now :
- Visit the following Microsoft website, sign in by using your Windows Live ID and password, and then click the green Join Windows Live Hotmail button in the upper-left corner:
- If you continue to have trouble connecting, restart Outlook. If this does not resolve the issue, contact Microsoft. To provide your feedback, visit the following Microsoft website:
- Why do more items go to my Outlook Junk folder than to my Windows Live Hotmail Junk folder or than to my Office Live Mail Junk folder?
Outlook Hotmail Connector uses Outlook's junk email message filter in addition to the Hotmail junk filter. Therefore, more items may be marked as "junk" in Outlook than in Windows Live Hotmail or than in Office Live Mail.
- Why do email items that contain attachments not download when I use Outlook Hotmail Connector?
There is a known issue with some proxy servers that prevents Outlook Hotmail Connector from downloading email items that contain attachments. This issue is most common in corporate environments in which proxy servers are used more frequently. Messages that contain attachments can still be downloaded and viewed from Windows Live Hotmail or from Office Live Mail if you experience this problem.
- Why do flagged items in my Outlook Hotmail Connector Inbox not appear on the To-Do bar when I also have another account in my profile?
When you use the Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 with Outlook 2010, flagged items are always saved to the Hotmail Drafts folder and synchronized to the Hotmail account, regardless of whether the Hotmail account is primary or secondary in Outlook.The integration of the To-Do bar is only supported if the Outlook Hotmail Connector account is the primary account.When the Outlook Hotmail Connector account is the primary account, new tasks that are created can be seen in the To-Do bar. However, flagged email message items appear in the Inbox.
- I want to use a mixed-language configuration, such as the English version of Outlook together with the Japanese version of the Outlook Hotmail Connector. Are mixed-language configurations supported?
No. Microsoft officially supports Outlook Hotmail Connector when Outlook Hotmail Connector is in the same language as the Windows operating system and as the Office programs that are installed on the computer.
- Why are my messages not saved to the Hotmail Drafts folder?
When you use the Outlook Hotmail Connector 14.0 with Outlook 2010, draft messages are always saved to the Hotmail Drafts folder and synchronized to the Hotmail account, regardless of whether the Hotmail account is primary or secondary in Outlook. However, if your Hotmail account is a secondary account in Outlook 2003 and 2007, a draft email message will be saved to the Drafts folder of the primary account. The email message will not be saved to the Drafts folder of the Hotmail account. Additionally, the draft will not synchronize to the Hotmail account.
- Why are contact names reset to email addresses in distribution lists?
This occurs because of a limitation of the way names of contacts that belong to distribution lists are stored by Windows Live. If you save a member as a contact, the individual contact card is saved with the appropriate contact name, but in the distribution list the name field is replaced with the email address of that contact.
- After installing Outlook Hotmail Connector as part of Windows Live, a message is displayed that indicates that Outlook cannot be started correctly.
This can occur if your computer is pending restart and Outlook is not closed when the Windows Live Essentials is installed. In order to avoid this from happening, please restart your restart your computer and close Outlook before you install Windows Live Essentials. If you have this issue, restart your computer and Outlook will restart correctly.
Article ID: 2199992 - Last Review: August 26, 2011 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Outlook 2010
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2007
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
|kbinfo kbtshoot kbFAQ kbexpertisebeginner kbcalendar kbemail KB2199992|
Contact us for more help
Connect with Answer Desk for expert help.