When you have a mail merge document and your mail merge data source contains mixed text and numbers (for example, JohnDoe18), you receive unpredictable results after you set criteria within the Query Options
Unpredictable results may include the following:
- The following error message appears when you try to perform the mail merge:
Word could not merge the main document with the data source because the data records were empty or no data records matched your query options.
- Records are displayed that do not match the criteria defined under Query Options.
To work around this problem, you can insert your data into a database program, such as Microsoft Access, and create a query within the database program. You can then attach the database program query as the mail merge document data source.
To merge a Word document with a Microsoft Access query, use the following steps:
- Start a new Word document.
- On the Tools menu, click Mail Merge.
- In the Mail Merge Helper dialog box, click Create and then select the type of document to merge (such as Form Letter or Mailing Labels).
- Click Active Window.
- Click the Get Data button, and then select Open Data Source.
- In the Files of type list box, scroll to select MS Access Databases (*.mdb;*.mde), and change to the folder where your Microsoft Access database is located.
- Select the database you want to use, click the Select Method check box to select it, and then click Open.
- In the Confirm Data Source dialog box, select MS Access Databases via DDE (*.mdb), and click OK.
- Click the Queries tab.
- Select the query from the list of queries, and then click OK.
- Click Edit Main Document.
- Insert the merge fields in the main document, and perform the mail merge as usual.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
For more information about using Query Options, click Microsoft Word Help
menu, type Query Options
in the Office Assistant or
the Answer Wizard, and then click Search
to view the topics
Article ID: 220572 - Last Review: December 6, 2000 - Revision: 1.0
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
|kbbug kbmerge kbpending KB220572|