Mobile device doesn't connect to Exchange Online through Exchange ActiveSync after the user's mailbox is migrated to Exchange Online
Not sure what release of Office 365 you're using? Go to the following Microsoft website:
A user's Microsoft Exchange mailbox is migrated to Microsoft Office 365 from an on-premises or hosted Exchange environment. However, after the migration, the user's mobile device can't connect to Microsoft Exchange Online through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync.
This occurs if the mobile device isn't automatically updated to include the location of the Exchange Online mailbox. The mobile device has to be redirected to the new mailbox server location.
Set up Exchange ActiveSync again on the mobile device so that you can get the latest version of Exchange ActiveSync. To set up Exchange ActiveSync, follow these steps, as appropriate for the device that you're using.
Windows Phone 7 devices
- Do one of the following:
- If this is the first email account that you have set up on the phone, tap the E-mail tile on the phone's home screen, and then go to step 4.
- If this isn't the first email account that you have set up on the phone, swipe left from the home screen.
- Tap Settings, and then tap E-mail and Accounts.
- Tap Add an Account, and then select Outlook.
- Enter your email address and your password, and then tap Sign In. Windows Phone 7 tries to automatically set up your email account. If setup is successful, go to step 7.
- If your email account can't be automatically set up, tap Advanced Setup. You have to enter the following information:
- E-mail address: This is your full email address. For example, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Password: This is the password for your email account.
- User name: This is your full email address. For example, email@example.com.
- Domain: This is the part of your email address after the @ sign. For example, contoso.com.
- Server: For instructions about how to find your server name, see the "How to find the server name" section.
- Select the Server requires encrypted (SSL) connection check box.
- Tap Sign In.
- When Exchange ActiveSync asks you if you want to enforce policies on your phone, tap OK. Policies let you set a password on your mobile device and use a remote device wipe to clear all data from your mobile device in case it's lost or stolen.
Windows Mobile 6.1 or 6.5 devices
- On the Home screen, select Start, select ActiveSync, select Menu, and then select Configure Server. If you have not yet set up sync with Exchange Server, you receive the following message:
- Type your email address, make sure that the Attempt to detect Exchange Server settings automatically check box is selected, and then click Next.
- Type your email address again in the user name field, type your Office 365 password, and then click Next.
- In the Server address box, type m.outlook.com, and then click Next.
Note If Exchange Autodiscover is set up correctly for your email domain, you might not be prompted for this info.
- When you're connected, you're presented with options for the kinds of items that you want to sync by using Exchange ActiveSync. To change available sync settings, select the check boxes for the kinds of info that you want to sync with Exchange Server, select Menu, and then select Settings.
- To change the rules for resolving sync conflicts, select Menu, and then select Advanced.
- Click Finish.
Android and iPhone mobile devices
For more info about how to set up Android and iPhone mobile devices, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
Your Office 365 email account is not automatically set up on your Google Android device or on your Apple iOS-based device through the Autodiscover service
For other devices that use Exchange ActiveSync to connect to Exchange Online, set up the device by following the instructions that the device manufacturer provided.
How to find the server nameNote
If you try to connect to Exchange Online by using an Android-based on device, use m.outlook.com as your mailbox server.
To determine what your server name is, follow these steps:
- Sign in to your account by using Outlook Web App.
- Do one of the following, as appropriate for your situation:
- In Office 365, click Settings (
), and then click Options.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- in Office 365 pre-upgrade, click Options, and then click See All Options.
- In the left navigation pane, click Account, click My Account, and then click Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access.
- Under SMTP setting, locate the name of the server.
For more info about how to connect devices to Exchange Online through Exchange ActiveSync, POP, or IMAP, see the Mobile Phone Setup Wizard at the following Microsoft website:
Still need help? Go to the Office 365 Community
Article ID: 2293029 - Last Review: May 31, 2013 - Revision: 34.0
- Microsoft Office 365 for enterprises (pre-upgrade)
- Microsoft Office 365 for small businesses (pre-upgrade)
- Microsoft Office 365 for education (pre-upgrade)
- Microsoft Exchange Online
|o365 o365a o365e o365022013 after upgrade o365062011 pre-upgrade o365p o365m KB2293029|