This article describes how to enable the Cardfile program in Microsoft Windows 98 or Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me).
The Cardfile program was originally written for and included with Microsoft Windows 3.1 and 3.11. It is not enabled by default in Windows 98 or Windows Me. However, the program file is included on the Windows 98 and Windows Me CD-ROM.
To enable the Cardfile program, extract the Cardfile.exe file from the Windows 98 CD-ROM:NOTE
: If you are running Windows Me, see the article that is listed at the end of this section for information about how to extract files.
- Click Start, click Run, type sfc.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Click Extract one file from installation disk.
- In the Specify the system file you would like to restore box, type cardfile.exe, and then click Start.
- In the Restore From box, type the drive letter and path to the Windows 98 source CD-ROM folder.
- In the Save File In box, type the full path to the Windows folder (for example, C:\Windows), and then click OK.
- Click OK when you see the "The file has been successfully extracted" message, and then click Close to quit System File Checker.
- Click Start, and then click Run.
- Type cardfile, and then click OK to run Cardfile.
For additional information about extracting files, click the article number below
to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
Article ID: 245157 - Last Review: January 25, 2007 - Revision: 2.3
- Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
- Microsoft Windows 98 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition