When you open the MMC containing the IIS snap-in, a dialog box appears with the following error message.
Unable to enumerate web sites because the following error occurred:
Object already exists
This may also occur when attempting to access the Administration Web site. You may receive the following error message:
Unable to connect to the Active Directory Service Object. Please
contact your system administrator. Error:-2146893809
No Web sites or services are enumerated in the MMC.
The permissions to the keys located in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\Machinekeys directory have been changed.
Change the permissions to the Machinekeys directory and the keys to allow the Administrators group and System account to have full control. To do this, perform the following steps:
- In Windows Explorer, right-click on the \Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\Machinekeys directory.
Note These are hidden files. To view these folder and files, select the Show hidden files and folders radio button.
- Click the Security tab.
- Click the Add button.
- In the Look In: dialog box, select the local machine.
- Add the Administrators group with Full Control.
- Click Advanced, and then click Add.
- Select the correct group, and then click OK.
- Make sure the following check boxes are selected:
List Folder / Read Data
Note These are the default settings.
Read Extended Attributes
Create Files / Write Data
Create Folders / Append Data
Write Extended Attributes
- Click OK.
- Select the Reset Permissions on all Child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions check box.
Article ID: 246459 - Last Review: June 19, 2014 - Revision: 3.0
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.