When you try to install Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 from a Pre-boot Execution Environment (PXE) client, and you select an image created by Riprep that contains the proper network adapter driver, Setup starts and you receive the following error message:
The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating system image. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.
Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.
This behavior may occur if any of the following conditions are true:
- The version of the PXE boot read-only memory (ROM) is corrupted. During Setup, a Net Card Query (NCQ) packet is sent from Setupldr (the operating system loader for text-mode Setup) to the Boot Information Negotiation Layer (BINL) service. This packet includes information about the installed network adapter. The BINL service uses this information to determine which NDIS driver must be loaded. Some PXE boot ROMs do not pass valid or complete information, which causes Setup to determine that the computer contains an unsupported network adapter.
- This error can also occur when the client computer is using a network interface card (NIC) that is not natively supported by Windows 2000.
To resolve this behavior, use one or both of the following procedures:
- Upgrade your computer BIOS or the network adapter PXE boot ROM code.
- If the network adapter in the client computer is not natively supported by Windows 2000, use the procedure that is described in the following article to install third-party drivers on the RIS server to support the clients' network adapters.
Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
How to add third-party OEM network adapters to RIS installations
Article ID: 247983 - Last Review: March 5, 2007 - Revision: 2.4
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
|kbenv kberrmsg kbprb kburl KB247983|