When trying to send email in Outlook for Mac 2011, you may receive the following error message:
Cannot send mail.
The SMTP server does not recognize any of the authentication methods supported by Outlook.
Try changing the SMTP authentication options in Account settings or contact your network administrator.
To resolve this issue, adjust your Account settings by follow these steps:
- Start Outlook.
- Click Tools then select Accounts.
- Select your account.
- Click to select Override default port box under the Outgoing server.
- In the port box, type 587.
- Click the More Options button.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- In the Authentication drop down box, click to select Use Incoming Server Info.
- Click OK.
- Close the Accounts window.
- Create a new email and try to send it to your self or another person.
Note that smtp.live.com is just an example and only can be used by MSN or Live email servers.
Article ID: 2492871 - Last Review: September 3, 2013 - Revision: 6.0
- Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011