When you try to add a control to a Microsoft Visio drawing page, you receive the following error message:
An error (1441) occurred during the action Insert Label.
Visio cannot insert a new control because this file contains too many shapes, pages, or masters.
This issue occurs when you have more than 1,024 shapes on the page. In Visio, controls must have a ShapeID that is less than 1024. For example, you may have 1,024 or more shapes on a page, and this includes both controls and drawing objects. In this case, Visio tries to assign a ShapeID that is equal to or greater than 1024. This causes the error that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.
To work around this issue, try one or more of the following methods:
- Put all the controls on the page first before you add any other shapes.
- Put some placeholder shapes on the page first. These placeholders can be hidden or positioned off the page. When you want to insert a control, delete a placeholder, and replace it with the control. The new control will take the ShapeID for the placeholder that was deleted. And, this ShapeID will be less than 1024.
- Put as many shapes on background pages as possible to reduce the number of ShapeIDs.
- Create a new page, and then add all the controls that you want. Then, copy the original page contents to the new page. This process makes sure that the controls have the lowest possible number of ShapeIDs.
Article ID: 2518512 - Last Review: August 26, 2011 - Revision: 1.2
- Microsoft Visio Premium 2010
- Microsoft Visio Professional 2010
- Microsoft Visio Standard 2010
- Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2007
- Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003
- Microsoft Office Visio Standard 2003
- Microsoft Visio 2002 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visio 2002 Standard Edition
|kbprb kbcontrol kbsurveynew kberrmsg KB2518512|