Article ID: 2529009 - View products that this article applies to.
Microsoft Technical Support recommends the standard best practices described in this article when making changes to the index-profile.
There are best practices regarding index-profile updating, in terms of validation and compatibility. Below are the steps recommended to ensure the index-profile is valid and compatible with the one currently in place:
1. Login to the node.
2. Copy the new index-profile into $FASTSEARCH/index-profiles/ directory on the admin node running ESP.
3. Setup environmental variables (if needed).
4. Move to $FASTSEARCH/index-profiles/.
5. Validate the index-profile with 'bliss' as follows:
../bin/bliss -V your_index_profile.xml
Example of a valid index-profile (done on the Linux platform):
[user@node index-profiles]> ../bin/bliss -V datasearch-5.3-lemmatization.xml
index-profile /home/esp/index-profiles/datasearch-5.3-lemmatization.xml is valid
This will verify that the index profile it is valid. One should then verify that the index-profile is compatible with the current index-profile. The current index-profile is stored in the $FASTSEARCH/etc/config_data/RTSearch/<cluster>/ directory, where <cluster> is the name of the cluster ("webcluster" is default). The file is named "index-profile" with no extension. The following steps can be performed to verify compatibility:
1. Copy the current index-profile into $FASTSEARCH/index-profiles/.
2. Rename the file to "current_index_profile.xml".
3. Run 'bliss -c new_index_profile.xml current_index_profile.xml' to see if they are compatible.
The below example is run from a Linux platform from $FASTSEARCH/bin/:
./bliss -c ../index-profiles/new_index_profile.xml ../index-profiles/current_index_profile.xml.
Alternately, this can be done by uploading the new index-profile through the Admin GUI web interface, however it is recommended to validate the new index-profile in advance.4. Take actions, if any, based on the output of the previous step.
5. Upload the index-profile either from the GUI or by using the 'bliss' command.
NOTE: Even a minor index-profile update should be viewed as a serious procedure. This is not a simple task that lends itself to being performed every day on a multi-node cluster.
Microsoft also recommends that the following services are restarted to ensure that they have new templates after an index-profile update:
* Document processors
* Query servers
One should be aware when a cold update of an index-profile occurs, it is sometimes needed to clear the qrserver cache and to refresh and redeploy views. This can be done with the following steps:
1. Stop the qrserver processes on all qrserver nodes.
2. On all qrserver nodes, rename or move the $FASTSEARCH/var/qrserver/ directory to remove the cache files.
3. Restart the qrserver processes on all qrserver nodes.
4. Run the following command to refresh the views:
view-admin –m refresh
5. Run the following command to deploy the views:
view-admin –m deploy –a
Article ID: 2529009 - Last Review: April 1, 2011 - Revision: 3.1
Contact us for more help