Article ID: 2532185 - View products that this article applies to.
When an Windows XP client attempts to send a fax using the Shared Fax Printer hosted on Small Business Server 2011 Standard Edition, nothing happens and the fax will not be sent. The client will not show any error messages.
This issue happens because the 32 bit Microsoft Shared Fax driver that ships with SBS 2011 will not work with Windows XP.
SBS 2011 does contain 32 bit Fax drivers that will work with Windows Vista and Windows 7 clients. You could upgrade the client operating system to Windows Vista or Windows 7 and the Shared Fax will work correctly. If upgrading the client operating system is not possible, you can manually replace the 32 Fax drivers with drivers that will work with Windows XP. You can find appropriate drivers on an SBS 2003 SP2 Server. If an SBS 2003 SP2 server is not available, you can obtain the drivers from Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2.
Step 1: Obtain the Appropriate Driver Files
a. SBS 2003 SP2 Server is accessible
The appropriate driver files are located on the SBS 2003 SP2 server in the following directory: c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
You need to copy the following 6 files to a temporary location:
b. SBS 2003 SP2 Server is not accessible
The appropriate driver files can be obtained from the Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 media.
1. Download Windows 2003 SP2 from the following link: Windows 2003 SP2 Download
2. Extract the service pack files by running WindowsServer2003-KB914961-SP2-x86-ENU.exe /x when prompted for a directory enter c:\sp2
3. Browse to c:\sp2\i386 and open the file named fxsclnt.cab
4. Extract the following 6 files from the cab:
5. Rename the 6 files as follows:
FXS_FXSAPI.DLL rename to FXSAPI.DLL
FXS_FXSDRV.DLL rename to FXSDRV.DLL
FXS_FXSRES.DLL rename to FXSRES.DLL
FXS_FXSTIFF.DLL rename to FXSTIFF.DLL
FXS_FXSUI.DLL rename to FXSUI.DLL
FXS_FXSWZRD.DLL rename to FXSWZRD.DLL
6. Copy these 6 files to a temporary location.
Step 2: Manually Install the Drivers onto the Windows XP Client
1. Stop the Print Spooler service on the Windows XP client
2. Copy the 6 files that you obtained in Step 1 to the following directory on the Windows XP client:
Replace any existing files.
3. Start the Print Spooler service on the Windows XP client
Once the service is started, you should be to fax successfully.
Note: You need to replace the drivers on the client after the Fax printer has been installed. You if delete the faxprinter and reinstall it, you may need to replace the files again.
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=151500)for other considerations.
Contact us for more help
Connect with Answer Desk for expert help.