When you run Microsoft Office 2000 Setup on a computer that
is running either Microsoft Windows 2000 or Microsoft Windows NT 4.0, if you
are prompted to insert your Microsoft Office 2000 compact disc (CD), you may
receive the following error messages (in order):
Error 1706. No valid source could be found for
product Microsoft Office 2000 Premium. The Windows installer cannot continue.
Microsoft Office 2000 Installation: Fatal
Installation ended prematurely because of an error.
Fatal error during
This problem may occur when all of the following conditions
- Your computer has either Microsoft Windows 2000 or
Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 installed.
- You attempt to use a feature that is not yet installed on
your computer, but that is set to be installed on first use; or, you run
Microsoft Office 2000 Setup and choose to either repair (Repair errors
in my Office installation) or reinstall Microsoft Office
- When Microsoft Office 2000 Setup runs, the incorrect CD is
in your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. For example, if you are running
Microsoft Office 2000 CD1 Setup, CD2 is in your drive.
- When you are prompted to insert the correct CD, you remove
the incorrect CD; insert the correct CD, and then click OK.
- Version 1.1 of the Windows Installer is installed on your
This problem can also occur if you attempt to use clip art that
is stored on Microsoft Office 2000 CD2, when CD2 is not in your CD-ROM or
Specifically, the problem occurs because the Windows
Installer continues to use cached CD information from the incorrect CD. As a
result, the Windows Installer still assumes that the incorrect CD is in your
CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and Setup fails.NOTE
: This problem does not occur on computers that are running either
Microsoft Windows 95 or Microsoft Windows 98.
If this problem occurs, follow these steps:
- Close all of the error messages described in the "Symptoms"
section of this article.
- Leave the correct Microsoft Office 2000 CD in your
computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive.
- Start Microsoft Office 2000 Setup either by attempting to
use the "install on first use" component that you previously attempted to use,
or by running Microsoft Office 2000 Setup from the Add/Remove Programs icon in Control Panel. Or, attempt to use the clip art that you
previously attempted to use.
If the correct CD is in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive when the
Windows Installer starts running, the problem described in the "Symptoms"
section does not occur.
has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed
at the beginning of this article.
Article ID: 253768 - Last Review: January 27, 2007 - Revision: 2.4
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0
- Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition
- Microsoft Office 2000 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Access 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Word 2000 Standard Edition
|kbtshoot kbstartprogram kbsetup kberrmsg kbprb KB253768|