The Recipient Update Service is a subprocess that runs
under the System Attendant process. The Recipient Update Service updates specific attributes of mail-enabled or mailbox-enabled Active Directory objects when they are created or modified. This article describes the
tasks that the Recipient Update Service performs.
The tasks performed by the Recipient Update Service are
divided into four categories.
- Sets the proxyAddresses attribute for users based on recipient policies. It may not set
it if the proxyAddresses attribute has been manually added.
- Sets other mail attributes, such as textEncodedORAddress and mail.
- Sets the showInAddressBook attribute based on the address lists that are present. This attribute
defines which objects appear on which address list. It is also needed to
resolve names in Microsoft Outlook or other Messaging Application Programming
Interface (MAPI) clients.
- Sets the homeMDB, homeMTA, and msExchHomeServerName attributes if at least one is already present. It does not change
any attribute if it already exists.
- Sets the msExchMailboxGuid attribute if it is not present.
- Sets the legacyExchangeDN attribute for mail-enabled objects if it is not present.
- Sets the displayName attribute to the value of the mailNickname attribute if it is not present.
- For groups that have the hideDLMembership attribute equal to TRUE, it adds some non-canonical access
control entries (ACEs) into the Access Control List (ACL) of that group to
prevent people from seeing the membership of that group.
- Sets the ACL on the "cn=Microsoft Exchange System
Objects,DC=domain,DC=com" container to reflect administrative rights that are
assigned by the Exchange Delegate Wizard.
- Verifies the members of the Exchange Enterprise Servers
security group. If any Exchange Domain Servers security groups are missing, they are added.
Article ID: 253770 - Last Review: October 25, 2007 - Revision: 4.4
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Standard Edition