Yahoo! offers Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) e-mail and
Web-based e-mail services. This article describes how to configure an Internet
Mail account with Outlook.
Yahoo! offers POP3 e-mail services to its customers who
join the Yahoo! Delivers program. For details about how to sign up for this
service, or to check whether you already are a member, visit the following
Yahoo! Web site, and then click the Mail
To access mail on the Yahoo! servers you must be a member of this
Yahoo! Delivers program.
How to Configure a POP3 E-mail Account
You must designate a new incoming (POP) mail server, and a new
outgoing (SMTP) mail server if you want to use an e-mail client to send and
receive Yahoo! e-mail messages.
The basic server settings for Yahoo!
Mail are as follows:
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|Incoming Mail (POP3) Server:||pop.mail.yahoo.com|
|Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server:||smtp.mail.yahoo.com|
|Account Name/Login Name:||Your Yahoo! Mail name (your
address without the "@yahoo.com")|
|E-mail address:||Your Yahoo! Mail address (for
|Password:||Your Yahoo! Mail password |
How to Add a New E-mail Account to Your Existing Profile in Outlook 97
- On the Tools menu, click Services, click Add, and then click Internet E-mail.
- Type a name for the new service, such as "Yahoo
- Type your name as you would like it to appear in the
- In the E-mail Address box, type your Yahoo! Mail address (for example,
"firstname.lastname@example.org"), and then click Apply.
- Click the Servers tab, and in the Incoming mail (POP3) box, type:
- In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) box, type:
- In the Account Name box, type your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the
- In the Password box, type your Yahoo! Mail password.
NOTE: Do not click to select the Log On Using Secure Password
Authentication (SPA) check box.
- Click the Connection tab, and then choose the appropriate connection type.
How to Control the Deletion of Messages from the Yahoo! Mail Server
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts, and then click the Mail Services tab.
- Select your Yahoo! Mail account, and then click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab, and then click to select the Leave a copy of
messages on server check box.
If you do not want your
messages kept on the Yahoo! Mail server once you have received them in Outlook,
do not check this box.
: Some information in this article is provided by Yahoo! and may
be subject to change without notice. For current information please go to the
Yahoo! Web site:
Article ID: 254067 - Last Review: September 4, 2013 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Outlook 97 Standard Edition
Retired KB Content Disclaimer
This article was written about products for which Microsoft no longer offers support. Therefore, this article is offered "as is" and will no longer be updated.