This article describes how to install the Microsoft
IntelliPoint software and the Microsoft mice and devices that are listed in the "Applies To" section.
To install a Microsoft mouse, install the
IntelliPoint software. Then, connect the mouse to
the computer. To do this, use the following methods in the order in which they appear.
Install the IntelliPoint Software
To install the IntelliPoint software, use one of the following
Download from the Internet
To download and install the latest version of the IntelliPoint
software, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- On the list, select your device.
- In the other fields, select the appropriate options.
- Click Go.
- Click the software link to download the software.
- Click Run this program from its current location, and then click OK.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to install the
- Restart the computer.
Install the software from the CD
To install the IntelliPoint software from the CD that is included
with your pointing mouse, follow these steps.
Note If you did not receive a CD, or if you cannot find the dusk, follow the "Download from the Internet" steps instead.
- Insert the Microsoft IntelliPoint Setup CD into your
If IntelliPoint Setup does not start automatically, use one of the following methods:
- Follow the instructions to install the
- Restart your computer.
Install a Microsoft mouse
To install a Microsoft mouse, use the appropriate
method for your pointing device.
Connect a Universal Serial Bus (USB) IntelliMouse to the computer
To connect a USB IntelliMouse mouse to your computer, follow these steps:
- Start the computer.
- If the PS/2 adapter is connected to the USB connector on
your IntelliMouse mouse, remove it.
- Locate an available USB port on your computer or USB hub.
- Plug the USB connector for your IntelliMouse pointing
device into an available USB port on your computer or on a USB hub that is
connected to your computer.
- Follow the instructions to install and
configure the IntelliMouse pointing device.
Connect a PS/2 mouse to a serial port on your computer
To connect a PS/2 mouse to a 9-pin serial
port on your computer, follow these steps:
- Turn off the computer.
- To connect one of the following PS/2 mice to a 9-pin serial port on your computer, connect the serial adapter to
the PS/2 connector for your mouse:
- Microsoft IntelliMouse
- Microsoft IntelliMouse Pro
- Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball
- Microsoft Wheel Mouse
- Plug the serial adapter for your mouse into the rectangular 9-pin serial port on the back of the computer.
- Turn on the computer.
- Follow the instruction to install and
configure the mouse.
Connect a Microsoft wireless mouse to the computer
To connect a Microsoft wireless mouse to the computer, follow these steps:
- On the bottom of the Microsoft wireless mouse, open and remove
the battery compartment door.
- Insert two fresh batteries into the battery
compartment. Make sure that you point the positive (+) ends of the batteries
toward the positive contacts in the battery compartment.
Note Batteries are included with a Microsoft wireless mouse.
- Replace and close the battery compartment door.
- Plug the receiver into a USB port.
Note We recommend that you use a port on the computer, not a port on an external USB Hub.
- Follow the instructions to configure your IntelliMouse mouse.
When you travel, consdier removing the batteries from the Microsoft wireless mouse before you board any aircraft. The Microsoft wireless mouse emits radio frequency (RF) energy when the batteries are installed,
even if the mouse is turned off.
Article ID: 258785 - Last Review: September 29, 2011 - Revision: 15.0
- Microsoft IntelliType Pro 7.0
- Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.1
- Microsoft IntelliType Pro 6.0
- Microsoft IntelliType Pro 6.1
- Microsoft IntelliPoint 6.0
- Microsoft Arc Mouse
- Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse
- Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000
- Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 1000
- Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000
- Microsoft Habu Laser Gaming Mouse
- Microsoft Explorer Mouse
- Microsoft Explorer Mini Mouse
- Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000
- Microsoft Mobile Memory Mouse 8000
- Microsoft Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000
- Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse
- Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse 3000
- Microsoft Presenter 3000
- Microsoft SideWinder Mouse
- Microsoft Wired Desktop 500
- Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Fingerprint Reader
- Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth
- Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000
- Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 6000 v2.0
- Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 7000
- Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000
- Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000
- Microsoft Wireless Notebook Laser Mouse 6000
- Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000
- Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 1.0
- Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2000
- Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 5000
- Microsoft Wireless Wheel Mouse
- Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 4000
- Microsoft Wireless Notebook Optical Mouse 3000
|kbhardware kbhowto KB258785|