Due to the volume of support incidents handled by Microsoft Support Services for issues related to the following hotfixes, these are recommended for installation for the platforms indicated below. These hotfixes are associated with the operation and functionality of the Windows Management Intrumentation (WMI) service and its related components. When experiencing issues related to WMI on a system the symptoms can vary widely depending upon the root cause. The following are a few examples of high-level symptoms noted in support incidents that may be resolved with the application of the indicated hotfixes:
- Loss of functionality with enterprise management/monitoring software for various machines. Software examples: Microsoft SCOM/SMS, IBM Tivoli, LANDesk Management, HP OpenView, BMC Patrol, etc.
- Loss of functionality related to Citrix terminal services load-balancing.
- Loss of functionality for WMI-based scripts.
- Slow user logon times on Citrix terminal servers.
- Slow user logon times on Windows clients where WMI-based group policy filters are in-place.
More granular symptoms:
- Unable to connect to root\default, root\cimv2 and/or root\citrix namespaces via WBEMTEST.
- Repository growing large related to OBJECTS.DATA file.
- Note repeating-nested CITRIX namespace entries in WMIMGMT.MSC. WMI CONTROL > PROPERTIES > SECURITY > expand ROOT structure to note missing/repeating namespaces.
Hotfix list for Windows Vista and Windows Server 20082464876
The WMI repository is corrupted on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista973243
The default gateway is missing on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista after the computer restarts if the default gateway is set by using the Netsh command
Hotfix list for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
The WMI process stops sending events to WMI clients from a Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based server2692929
"0x80041001" error when the Win32_Environment WMI class is queried by multiple requestors in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R22617858
Unexpectedly slow startup or logon process in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7
MSKB 2617858 includes the a resolution for the high CPU fix in MSKB 2505348 AND a fix for WMI repositories being improperly marked drity after graceful shutdowns, triggering full verification on the following OS startup. MSKB 2505348 is there fore superceded by MKSB 2617858
Msinfo32.exe takes a long time to display or export system information on a computer that has many MSI-X-supported devices and that is running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2
Note: MSKB 2492536 updates Cimwin32.dll on the computers running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM or with Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed. While as MSKB 2692929 updates Cimwin32.dll to a latest version and is applicable to the computer that have SP1 installed.982293
The Svchost.exe process that has the WMI service crashes in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7
Note: MSKB 982293 is applicable to the computers running Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 without Service Pack 1 (SP1)974930
An application or service that queries information about a failover cluster by using the WMI provider may experience low performance or a time-out exception2705357
The WMI process stops sending events to WMI clients from a Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based server
Hotfix list for Windows Server 2003 SP2
"0x80041002 (WBEM_E_NOT_FOUND)" error code occurs when you try to open a WMI namespace on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003 SP2
Note: For all supported x86-based versions of Windows Server 2003
Hotfix list for Windows XP933062
A hotfix is available that improves the stability of the Windows Management Instrumentation repository in Windows XP
for other considerations.
Article ID: 2591403 - Last Review: April 4, 2013 - Revision: 3.2
- Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Starter
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows 7 Enterprise
- Windows 7 Home Basic
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Starter
- Windows 7 Ultimate
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Windows Server 2008 Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise
- Windows Server 2008 Foundation
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
- Windows Server 2008 Standard