This article describes how to determine the version of Microsoft Windows 2000 that is running on your computer.
The release version of Windows 2000 is version 5.0, build 2195.
Determining the version of Windows 2000 that is running on a computer
Use any one of the following methods:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then click Properties.
- Right-click My Computer on the desktop, and then click Properties.
- Right-click Start, click Explore, and then click About Windows on the Help menu.
- Click Start, click Run, type winmsd, and then press ENTER.
- Click Start, click Run, type winver, and then press ENTER.
- Open the C:\Boot.ini file and locate the [operating systems] section.
Note To locate Boot.ini, you may have to select the Show hidden files and folders option in Folder Options. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
- On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
- In the Advanced Settings area, click to select the Show hidden files and folders radio button, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box, click OK, and then close the window.
- Click Start, and the version is displayed vertically on the left side of the pop-up menu.
Article ID: 262255 - Last Review: November 1, 2006 - Revision: 4.1
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
|kbenv kbhowtomaster KB262255|