In Lync 2010, you cannot do one or more of the following:
- See the presence information of a partner
- Add a federated partner
- Receive instant messages from a federated partner
This problem occurs when the federation with the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)-enabled partner is configured incorrectly.
Microsoft Online Support does not work directly with the federated partner. Microsoft Online Support cannot speak on behalf of your organization and does not support the XMPP environment of a federated partner.
To troubleshoot the symptoms that are listed in the "Symptoms" section:
- Make sure that the affected end-user is running the latest version of the Lync client, as outlined in the Lync service description. If your end-user is not running the latest version, upgrade to the latest version, and then try to reproduce the issue.
- Request screen shots from the federated partner to confirm their service (SRV) record for the federation. Make sure that the federated partner meets all the XMPP system requirements that are outlined in the latest version of the Lync Online Service Description.
- Determine whether any other XMPP federations are not working.
- Determine whether this is new federation.
Note If this is a new federation, confirm with your Service Delivery Manager (SDM) that a Configuration Request (CR) is completed.
- Obtain log files from an affected end-user within your organization.
To escalate your issue:
- Please contact Microsoft Online Services Support by online submission
or by telephone
- Provide the following information to Microsoft Online Services Support:
- Lync log files and Network Monitor Captures from the affected end-user in your organization
- If it is a new federation, include the CR number
- Obtain screen shots from the federated partner's SRV records
- Describe whether or to what degree any other federations are not working.
The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products.
Article ID: 2644948 - Last Review: July 26, 2013 - Revision: 5.0
- Microsoft Business Productivity Online Dedicated
- Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite Federal
- Microsoft Lync Online