This article describes how to perform a parallel installation of Windows 2000.Note
You must know your environmental requirements to complete the installation procedure.
Performing a parallel installation of Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003Note
The Documents and Settings folder is not overwritten by this procedure.
- Start your computer by using the Windows 2000 CD-ROM or the Windows Server 2003 CD-ROM.
- After the Setup program finishes inspecting the computer's hardware, press ENTER to set up Windows.
- Press the F8 key to agree to the Windows Licensing Agreement.
- Press the ESC key to install a fresh copy of Windows.
- Press ENTER to set up Windows on the selected partition.
Note You can install Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 on any available partition with sufficient free space. However, we do not recommend that you install both Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003 on the same partition. You should always install a new operating system on a separate partition from the current operating system if a separate partition is available. If there are problems with your Boot.ini file, you may want to install the new Windows operating system on the same partition as the original Windows operating system, but doing this may cause problems with the original Windows operating system. The configuration entries in the Boot.ini file are the same.
- Press ENTER to leave the current file system intact.
Important If you choose to change the file system, you will lose data from the partition to which you are installing.
- Press ESC to install Windows in a different folder.
If you installed the original copy of Windows in the default Winnt folder, you must type the name of a different folder, and then press ENTER.
- After you change the default folder to a different folder, you can proceed with the installation procedure. Select the components and settings that are required for your installation.
Article ID: 266465 - Last Review: May 7, 2007 - Revision: 6.3
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition (32-bit x86)
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
|kbenv kbhowtomaster kbsetup KB266465|