Article ID: 2692654 - View products that this article applies to.
This article covers the Microsoft support policy for Microsoft applications that are running in a Microsoft Server Application Virtualization (Server App-V) environment.
Server App-V builds on the technology used with Application Virtualization (App-V) by separating the application configuration and state from the underlying operating system running on computers in a data center environment. Server App-V allows for dynamic composition of application and hardware images which can help significantly reduce the number of images that need to be managed. Server App-V also enables automation of deployment and management scenarios which can improve reliability, availability and serviceability of datacenter applications.
Not all applications are supported for use with Server App-V. Applications such as antivirus software that require device or kernel driver support are not supported. Server App-V is primarily designed for use with business applications or the business tiers of multi-tiered applications. Consequently some large server applications such as Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft SharePoint are not supported. While there is no list of supported applications for use with Server App-V, Server App-V has been optimized to create virtual application packages for applications with the following attributes:
· State persisted to local diskMicrosoft will provide commercially reasonable efforts to make Microsoft Server applications, other than those listed below, run in a Server App-V environment. We recommend that you perform significant testing of virtualized applications to verify that the applications meet the requirements and the expectations of your particular environment.
· Microsoft Windows Services
· Internet Information Services (IIS)
· COM+ / DCOM
· Text-based Configuration Files
· WMI Providers
· Microsoft SQL Reporting Services
· Local Users and Groups
As part of any support issue investigation, we may require the issue to be reproduced independently from the Server App-V software. We may require this for additional clarification and to make sure that the correct Microsoft group is handling the support issue.
Note: The following Microsoft applications are not supported in the V1 release of Server App-V:
· Microsoft Exchange Server
· Microsoft SQL Server
· Microsoft SharePoint
For more information on Server App-V, please visit the following Microsoft site: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg703262.aspx
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=151500)for other considerations.