When you try to connect to an instance of SQL Server from a client computer that uses the TCP/IP Net Library, the following error message occurs if the Microsoft Windows NT LM Security Support Provider registry key is missing:
Msg 1060 sev 16 state 1 [Microsoft] [ODBC SQL Server driver] cannot
generate SSPI context
The Windows NT LM Security Support Provider Service is not installed on the client computer. The NTLMSsp Registry key is located at:
To work around the problem:
- Use one of the following:
- Use Named Pipes as the default Net Library.
- Create an alias that uses the Named Pipes Net library.
Only TCP/IP connections require the use of the SSPI API to make trusted connections.
- Follow these instructions to restore the missing registry key:
The client computer can now connect to your instance of SQL Server through SQL Query Analyzer.
- Run Regedit.exe on another Windows NT Server that has the NTLM Security Support Provider Service. To do this, click Start, and then click Run. Enter Regedit in the Open: text box of the Run dialog box.
NOTE: You can use the Services applet in Control Panel to check and see if the NT LM Security Support Provider service is running.
- Navigate to the following registry location:
- Click Registry, and then click Export Registry File. To export the NTLMSsp Registry key, enter a name in the File Name: text box of the Export Registry File dialog box. Select Registration Files in the Save as type: drop-down combo box.
- Copy the file you exported to the server that does not have the NTLM Security Support Provider Service.
- Double-click the file name you exported so that the file imports the key into the registry of the client computer.
- Re-start the computer and verify that the NTLM Security Support Provider Service is present (see step 1).
Article ID: 269541 - Last Review: February 22, 2007 - Revision: 3.3
- Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Workgroup Edition