When you try to use the Cut, Copy, Paste, Paste Special, or Format Painter commands in a Microsoft Office Suite program, the command does not work as expected. For example, you experience one or more of the following situations:
- In Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office Word, or Microsoft Office PowerPoint, you copy formatted text. When you paste the text, the pasted text loses its formatting.
- In Word or PowerPoint, you cut formatted text. When you paste the text, the pasted text loses its formatting.
- In Excel, you try to cut text, but the text is not cut. Instead, the program copies the text, and then performs a "Paste as Text" operation. Also, the pasted text loses its formatting and formulas.
- In Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you cut or copy text, and then you right-click to try to paste the text. However, the Paste Options that are displayed in the shortcut menu are limited to plain text-only.
- In Excel, you copy values that have a formula applied. When you perform a Paste operation, the values are pasted without the formula.
- In Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, you select formatted text, and then you click the Format Painter button in the Ribbon. However, when you try to apply the formatting to other text, the formatting is not applied.
- In Excel, when you try to drag and drop cells, you receive the following error message: "The Clipboard cannot be emptied. Another program might be using the Clipboard."
These problems occur because the Skype "Click to Call" add-in for Internet browsers (version 188.8.131.5260) is enabled, and the Internet browser is open in the background when you use an Office program. If you close the Internet browser, the Cut, Copy,
Paste, Paste Special, and Format Painter commands work as expected.
Note This issue affects all Internet browsers.
To resolve this problem, download and install the latest version of "Click to Call" from the following Skype website:
Skype Click to Call
To determine whether you have the most current version of Skype installed after you update the program, open the browser add-ins page, and verify that you now have Skype 184.108.40.20674 or a newer version installed.
You can also get help from the
Microsoft Community online community, search for more information on
Microsoft Support or
Windows Help and How To, or learn more about
Assisted Support options.
Article ID: 2697462 - Last Review: October 2, 2012 - Revision: 9.0
- Microsoft Excel 2010
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Microsoft Word 2010
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
Contact us for more help
Connect with Answer Desk for expert help.