After you install the update solution in Office applications that use controls from Mscomctl.ocx, you may receive one or more of the following error messages:
Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found
Element not found
Cannot insert object
To enable or disable this fixit solution, click the Fix it
button or link under the Enable
heading. Click Run
in the File Download
dialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.Note
To fix this problem yourself, go to the "Fix it myself
Collapse this tableExpand this table
- This wizard may be in English only. However, the automatic fix also works for other language versions of Windows.
- If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it on the computer that has the problem.
Fix it myself
To fix this problem yourself, use either of the following methods.
In this procedure, the folders that are mentioned may or may not exist, depending on which application uses the custom solution and whether the custom solution is used on a document or in a UserForm.
- Exit all instances of Microsoft Excel.
- Click Start, type %temp% in the Open box, and then press Enter.
- In the folder that opens, delete the Excel8.0 folder and the VBE folder.
- Click Start, type %appdata%\microsoft\forms in the Open box, and then press Enter.
- In the folder that opens, delete the MSComctlLib.exd file.
- Close all the instances of Windows Explorer that you opened.
- Click Start, type cmd in the Open box, and then press Enter.
- Type the following commands at the command prompt, and press Enter after each command:
Note You can safely ignore any results that say "Could Not/cannot find."
An administrator can use a script that contains these commands to delete the unnecessary files. For example, an administrator can copy the commands to a text file, save the file as a .bat file (for example, Scriptfile.bat), and then double-click the file to run it.
For more information, click the article number that applies to your version of Office:
MS12-027: Description of the security update for Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 3: April 10, 2012 2598041
MS12-027: Description of the security update for 2007 Microsoft Office system: April 10, 2012 2598039
MS12-027: Description of the security update for Office 2010: April 10, 2012
You can also find more information on the Excel team support blog
Article ID: 2703186 - Last Review: May 23, 2012 - Revision: 3.0
- Microsoft Office Excel 2003
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003
- Microsoft Office Word 2003
- Microsoft Office Excel 2007
- Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007
- Microsoft Office Word 2007
- Microsoft Excel 2010
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010
- Microsoft Word 2010
|kbmsifixme kbfixme KB2703186|