After you change Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) service endpoint settings in the AD FS Management Console, single sign-on (SSO) authentication to Microsoft Office 365 fails, and you experience one of the following symptoms:
- Federated users can't sign in to Office 365 by using rich client applications.
- Browser applications repeatedly prompt users for credentials when they try to authenticate to AD FS during SSO authentication.
This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
- The AD FS service endpoints are inappropriately configured.
- Kerberos authentication on the AD FS server is broken.
To resolve this issue, use one of the following methods, as appropriate for your situation.
Resolution 1: Restore the default AD FS service endpoint configuration
To restore AD FS default service endpoint settings, follow these steps on the primary AD FS server:
- Open the AD FS Management Console, and in the left navigation pane, browse to AD FS (2.0), then Service, and then Endpoints.
Collapse this imageExpand this image
- Examine the endpoints list, and make sure that the entries in this list are enabled as indicated (at a minimum):
Collapse this tableExpand this table
|URL Path||Enabled||Proxy enabled|
- If an item in the list doesn't match the default settings in the previous table, right-click the entry, and then select Enable or Enable on Proxy as necessary.
Resolution 2: Troubleshoot Kerberos authentication issues
For more info about how to troubleshoot Kerberos authentication issues, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
A federated user is repeatedly prompted for credentials during sign-in to Office 365
Still need help? Go to the Office 365 Community
website or the Windows Azure Active Directory Forums
Article ID: 2712957 - Last Review: October 30, 2013 - Revision: 14.0
- Windows Azure
- Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft Office 365 for enterprises (pre-upgrade)
- Microsoft Office 365 for education (pre-upgrade)
- CRM Online via Office 365 E Plans
- Windows Azure Recovery Services
|o365 o365a mosdal4.5 o365062011 pre-upgrade o365e kbgraphxlink o365022013 after upgrade o365m kbgraphic KB2712957|