When a domain user from a Microsoft Windows 2000 child
domain tries to request a user certificate by using the Microsoft Management
Console (MMC) Certificates snap-in, the domain user receives the following
Certificate Request Wizard
Windows cannot find a certification authority that will process the request.
If the request is made by using a Microsoft Internet Explorer
browser, the domain user receives the following error message:
Certificate Request Denied
request was denied
Contact your administrator for further information.
The Domain Users group on the child domain does not have the right to enroll a
To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- From a domain controller in the child domain, log on to the
parent domain with a user account that has membership in the Enterprise Admins
- Click Start, click Programs, click Administrative Tools, and then click the Active Directory Sites and
- In MMC, right-click the Active Directory Sites and
Services snap-in, click View, and then click Show Services Mode. This allows
you to view the Services folder, which is hidden from view by
- From the Active Directory Sites and
Services snap-in, click Services, click Public Key Services, and then click Certificate Templates. This reveals the complete list of published certificate
templates in Active Directory.
- Double-click the User certificate template to view the properties.
- On the Security tab, click Add to add the Domain Users group of the child domain to the
- For the Domain Users (CHILDDOMAINNAME\Domain Users) group, select the Read and Enroll rights.
- Restart the computer.
For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Error message: Windows cannot find a certification authority that will process this request
Article ID: 271861 - Last Review: March 1, 2007 - Revision: 4.3
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
|kbcertservices kbprb KB271861|